VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

What is the best way to get Quake up and running on a i5 4670K PC with Windows 8.1?
I prefer to emulate it in DOSBox for purist reasons. But many also recommends Darkplaces over DOS.
What's the best?

Reply 3 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best is so subjective. I personally prefer the software way enough to do my own port for filling my preferred 'hd software mode' niche.

Mappers prefer something resembling cruft-free vanilla that supports their super map limits, Quakespasm and Fitzquake fall nicely into that category.

DirectQ is now obscure, but still remains the ONLY accelerated engine to recreate Quake's sky/water effects with pixel shaders, and is generally polished enough while not shitting on quake's aesthetic so many engines tend to do.

Avoid "nextgen HD remaster pack's" unless you really like tiny FOV in super blue water and horrible lighting and shadows with bad bumpmaps. the usual 'newbie novelty' stuff really destroys the game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 12, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rod Primitive wrote:

I prefer to emulate it in DOSBox for purist reasons.

Why emulate at all? WinQuake still works. It's pretty much the same as the DOS version, just running inside a simple DirectX-wrapper.
Of course, GLQuake also works, which would still qualify for some values of 'pure', since it is an official ID release (as was WinQuake).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GLQuake + MiniGL 1.49 + nGlide.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).