VOGONS

Common searches

Problem when setting up Windows 95 with Dosbox 0.74

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by TG19942015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm using this tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASlvkZ-_wU and everything is fine until 3:04 min. Then Dos Box shows me the message "No space to create DOS partition." and I'm not able to go on because of this error. 😒 After searching for a solution for hours, I decided to end up here and asking for help. 😀 So, any ideas?

Greetings, TG

Reply 4 of 35, by TG19942015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I did already, I have a Windows 95 in Virtual PC 2007 and it's running. But: The game I want to play there is running much to fast and crashing after about a minute. That's because the processor of Windows 7 is much too fast for that old game. So I downloadad dxwnd to slow it down over there but Windows 95 is too silly to run that program as well. This is already the fifth or sixth forum I signed in only because of this problem I'm having since January 10th 2015, and nobody was able to help me so far. Now the question I asked a thousand times before: Any other ideas? Or which of those VMs might be the best for me then?

Greetings, TG

Reply 5 of 35, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As others will probably quickly jump in and say, you can forget dosbox for playing win95 games with stability.
Another VM or emulation solution is the way to go. Sorry, no specific proposals since I'm not using VM's for gaming, I use a lot VirtualBox which is free and runs nicely OS' but have no clue how it performs in games.

btw, which game are you trying to play? Many of those with some tweaking can be played directly from within win7. Not all of them of course, but maybe you are lucky and save yourself from all these.

Reply 7 of 35, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of all the VMs I looked at, it seems like none of them support any kind of hardware acceleration for Win9x. For XP, sure, but not Win9x. Or more accurately, none of them seem to have Win9x drivers to support hardware accelerated graphics.

If you want to play DOS games, you use DOSBox. If you want to play games that run on XP, but not Win7/8, you use a VM. You want to play games that only run in Win9x and need hardware accelerated graphics? You're SOL.

Reply 8 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TG19942015 wrote:

That's because the processor of Windows 7 is much too fast for that old game.

"The processor of Windows 7", whatever that means, is generally not a factor in anything running in a virtual machine.

This is already the fifth or sixth forum I signed in only because of this problem I'm having since January 10th 2015

Did you bother asking specifically about "Al Unser Jr. Arcade Racing" on all those other forums?

This game appears to be written for Windows 3.1. It is much, much easier to get Windows 3.1 running in a stable fashion in DOSBox. You should try that instead.
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=4241&letter=A

Reply 9 of 35, by TG19942015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I installed a virtual Windows 3.11 without any problems. I wanted to start the game and then a window popped up and said something like "This software only supports 256 color mode." So I've downloaded the S3 graphics driver. This tutorial is nearly perfect. http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators … icsDrivers.html But: When I'm typing C:\S3 a window appears telling me "Setup cannot find OEMSETUP.INF Please type a new path to the OEMSETUP.INF file." Then I tried many many of different paths, because the path might be different for me, but the problem seems to be somewhere else. But I can't understand it, I did everything just like in the description. Getting errors that noboy else have really makes me crazy. Any idea what I did wrong then? You're my last hope again.

Reply 10 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's anything like this guide, then you need to specify C:\DRIVERS\S3.

What folder are you mounting when you run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, and where did you unzip the S3 drivers?

Last edited by Jorpho on 2015-02-18, 03:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The C:\S3 in that guide is just an example and only valid if you happen to use that path when you follow the instructions of "unzip into a subfolder..."
If you had followed my guide... 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as you can specify the correct folder in DOSBox, it can be anywhere you like. If you mounted C:\whatever as drive C when you started DOSBox, then you can unzip the drivers to C:\whatever\S3 and then specifying C:\S3 will work in Windows Setup.

It's like I just said: What folder are you mounting when you run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, and where did you unzip the S3 drivers?

Reply 14 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seriously, follow my guide OR read the whole guide on sierrahelp, the special long section of installing drivers might help. It's all written there, you just need to read it.
If that doesn't help give details of your mountings, where you extracted the drivers to, etc.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TG19942015 wrote:

Well, I think it's time for me to switch back to another forum

This is already the fifth or sixth forum I signed in only because of this problem I'm having since January 10th 2015

Maybe if you stuck around and worked on your problem you wouldn't have to sign on somewhere else?

because I'm using Virtual PC 2007. 😎 That's the only VM working for me

TG19942015 wrote:

The game I want to play there is running much to fast and crashing after about a minute.

Reply 17 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, seems you'd rather play it too fast then follow almost simple instructions. Your choice 😉

Reply 19 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Huh? Dosbox is easy as pie and much more gaming compatible. But of course you can go, how could I hold you back.😉