VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm testing out an AWE64 Value that recently arrived, and everything seemed to be working just fine with it.

INTEL SE440BX-2
CELERON TUALATIN 1300 (on Powerleap)
NVIDIA QUADRO2 PRO
MS-DOS 7.1
256MB PC100

Then this happens a few minutes into the demo. I haven't tried to replicate it, and I'm not terribly worried about it. I'm just curious what might have caused it. There was a hanging note that persisted until I rebooted.

I'm also running MTRRLFBE instead of Fastvid. Also running at 1600x1200.

P1110611.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seen lots of crashes like that 😀

Could be a lot of reasons. Too much RAM, trying a new version of the extender, starting with XMS or EMS...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blood itself did some crazy workarounds for Build's cache system and has its own replacing it, so most of the random crashes are pretty unique to Blood. Hopefully other Build games don't give you this much trouble.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know that this might be restricted to Blood. Duke 3D never crashed like this.

Well, after clean booting, I was able to replicate the error with two different video cards, three different sound cards, and two different SDRAM sticks.

The problem, it seems, has to do with the resolution on my system. I switched to 800x600, and the demo has been running fine through several cycles (it always crashed during the second cycle). I'm going to test the game at 1600x1200 on my KT133A board to see if this is a problem with the SE440BX-2 (maybe Powerleap)

Reply 5 of 6, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seen a few myself.

Attachments

• yes.png
    Filename
    yes.png
    File size
    8.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9