VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by whatashame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dear people,

As this is my first post, I'd like to start by showing my gratitude towards all the incredible things you do to keep the spirit of DOS alive.
I consider you of extraordinary magnitude.

For the past couple of months I have been leading my life with one single obsession - getting to play the old game called Quest For Fame (Aerosmith), which is a Guitar Hero prototype (that's how retro I am).
Every single step of my way has been filled with problems, and so far I have found solutions to all of them. Now, as dumb as I am, unfortunately , I am stuck.

Getting an original copy of the game (never re-issued, not very popular, and still working 20 years after initial printing) was not a piece of cake.
Installing it under any operating system was beyond me, simply because I have encoured every single problem imaginable (and I'm sure you, DOS oldtimers,know what I'm talking about).

--------
So, to the problem
I'm running dos box 072. I installed win 3.11 on it - sound and graphic drivers included.
I try to install the game but an error pops up saying my VPick (which is this game's joystick controller) is not connected.
Well, truth being told - it is and it isn't.
It's a LPT controller and my new computer doesn't have no LPT ports.
I bought an USB adapter, and I plugged it in.
Win7 recognizes the joystick, but the dosbox doesn't.

I entered dos box config and I understand I'm supposed to changed "serial1=dummy" into , say, serial1=directserial realport:com1
well, I did, to no avail. This is where my knowledge ends, because I really don't know where my port com1 is. Whe I use "device manager", it says the controller is connected to "Port_#0002.Hub_#0001", but writing it down in dosbox config doesn't help either.

So, my questio is,
1. I have no LPT port
2. I have an LPT controller
3. I bought a USB adapter
4. It is recognized in win7 but not in dosbox 72, emulating win 3.11
what shall I do?

And, oh yea, I googled first and I searched this forum, but all I get is "print to file LPT1", and I don't care about printing and connecting printers. Please help you guys, any suggestions are welcomed !

Reply 1 of 2, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if it will solve your problem but there are PCI and PCIe cards for parallel ports.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Card-LPT-Parallel … =item58c184240f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Parallel-Port-DB2 … =item3a93c94036

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this is a DOSBox question, this thread ought to be in one of the DOSBox subforums. (One of the mods will probably move it.)

whatashame wrote:

I'm running dos box 072

Is there some reason you're not using 0.74? These days the SVN Daum version might be an even better idea, especially if you're using serial or parallel devices.

Win7 recognizes the joystick

That is nothing short of astonishing. What, exactly, does Windows 7 say it is?

I entered dos box config and I understand I'm supposed to changed "serial1=dummy" into , say, serial1=directserial realport:com1

Serial ports are COM ports. Parallel ports are LPT ports. The official DOSBox 0.74 has no support for parallel port devices and you will definitely need the SVN Daum version, as mentioned above.

If it's at all possible to get this device working at all, you would in fact pretty much need to set it up using mostly the same procedure as you would with a printer. But as with a printer, a USB-to-parallel port adapter will probably never, ever work. (This is why it is so astonishing that Windows 7 supposedly recognizes your controller.) You will need an extra add-on card, as suggested by M. Tayyare. Even then this is not especially well-supported by DOSBox and there's no guarantee that it will work; parallel port passthrough is generally only expected to work with a printer.

Really, you'd probably be much better off getting a 20-year-old computer and using that to play your game.