VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone else run in to a problem with WC2 (or other games) not working with certain motherboards? I have an ICL 486 and Pentium that refuse to run with SB+Roland combination. If you select SB only, it works fine. I tried both floppy and CD-versions, but both hang at the "Expanded memory detected" screen. I used two different Roland MPU's and interface cards to makes sure, and all works fine on a AST 386 and a Digital Pentium. I think both ICL's use OPTi chipset, so it could be a problem with that.

This is quite close to what my ICL looks like:

https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2015 … golite-dt48666/

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the game hangs when it doesn't get a response from the MPU401 interface. A good test for proper intelligent mode compatibility.

Does the other sound card also have a MIDI interface? Make sure it's set to 300 and the Roland to 330.

When you pull out the Sound Blaster, and just use Roland for music, will the game launch? But make sure to run INSTALL first, and disable sound and speech.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 4, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I finally got it to start by removing the SB16 completely. I really don't know what the conflict could be as all the other games seem to work fine and there are no shared resources. I'll have to go through all my sound cards to see which work and which don't. Too bad the motherboard/BIOS doesn't use ISA PnP and that pretty much eliminates 90% of my collection.

Reply 3 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The board doesn't need to have PnP. CTCM does this for you.

You need two driver packages, both can be had from the Creative site. SBBASIC and CTCMBBS. They will unpack, so put them in separate folders.

I've done a guide on this here: How to install ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster in DOS

But remember, Sound Blaster MPU on 300, and Roland on 330. Otherwise there is a conflict.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 4, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got it to work with an Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II. None of the SB cards I tried worked, not even AWE32 non-PnP, they all froze. I used the ICL's own PnP Windows tool and even if it showed everything to be OK, the boot sequence still gave error for each PnP card I tried, CTCM or not. This system just plain sucks...

edit: Just to make a point, with ESS AudioDrive installed the system refused to boot at all (the card itself tested working).