VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by strider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the game Stonekeep(a 1995 RPG) everything works good, except for some reason the game decides to start crashing on me when I pick up an item off the ground to add it to the magic scroll. I dont know why its crashing. Anyone had this problem? You can probably only help me if you've played the game. Help please. 🤐

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Just guessing here, but that "magic scroll", is that a list displayed on the screen? It could be the screen update code, that is not handling the update correctly. See if changing the 'output=' parameter in the configuration file from the default ('surface' I believe) to 'overlay' or 'opengl', and see if it makes any difference.

There is also a 'machine' parameter, that controls the type of graphics screen being emulated. Try changing it to 'cga', 'vga', 'tandy' or whatever it lists in the configuation file.

Have you tried picking up the items when running in fullscreen mode?
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by strider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the help. i tried editing the config file, but there is no 'output'
or 'machine' parameter, so I couldn't change those. Antoher problem I have is that when I save my game in a save game slot, the game crashes . The game will keep crashing when I go to that same 'save game' file in the 'load game' menu until I delete the files in the 'savegam' file. THe problem keeps happening with other slots to. what may be causing this?
one last question. What is DOSBOX, and will it help solve these problems?