VOGONS

Common searches

VESA and Duke Nukem 3D

Topic actions

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

I downloaded the VESA hack from Ken Silverman's page to run Duke Nukem 3D in VESA modes under Windows 2000. It didn't work for me -- Geforce 3 card. I was wondering is this program only works under Windows XP.
Thank you!
Truth5678

Reply 1 of 77, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
truth5678 wrote:

I was wondering if this program only works under Windows XP.

Well, Ken's using XP but it should work the same for both. One thing that's important to note: you must keep the command prompt open for NOLFB to stay in memory.

If you just double-click it, it will run; then immediately terminate.

You can either start a command prompt, run NOLFB, then run the game executable or...create a batch file that does the same thing.

Just remember, the instant the command prompt closes, NOLFB is gone.

Somebody else with Win2K want to check this?

Reply 3 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Duke3D (1.4 - Atomic) keeps telling me to insert my CD. This is bogus since my CD IS there. I didn't want to clutter up my system with useless registry bits so I didn't use the Windows installer on the CD. Am I missing something? Is there a switch I can use on command-line to force it to use E:?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 77, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm also using 1.4 atomic. It's the cdrom.ini you want to change, isnt it? After nearly losing the cd a few years ago, I just copied everything from the cd, then changed the ini to read ".\". Then I promptly lost the cd again:)

Reply 6 of 77, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NTVDM (NT command prompt) games do NOT ever work in a window. Always use full screen. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chanza wrote:

I'm also using 1.4 atomic. It's the cdrom.ini you want to change, isnt it? After nearly losing the cd a few years ago, I just copied everything from the cd, then changed the ini to read ".". Then I promptly lost the cd again:)

That helps me none, because there IS no CDROM.INI. I tried creating one with "E:" in it, but there was no change.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, there's your wit. I was wondering how long it was going to be...
seriously, though. Fix it or I'll jab an icepick through your forehead. It might not hurt at first, but just wait a couple seconds...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have problems. So VDMSound is supposed to work for Duke 3D and to also have the VESA driver right? How do I do it? Do I also use compatibilty mode?

So I:
1)right click on Duke3d.exe from windows and set up compatibilty mode, then set up VDMSound (which will run the game then it will not work and I'll have to quit)

2) go into command prompt and run VESA driver (NOBFL or whatever)

3)set up the setup for the game

4) run the game

Is this right?

It doesn't work. I hear scratchy sounds that the game is working, but the screen shuts off as it can't support the picture or something. I'm not sure if VDMSound is even working with it, because I think you need to run it from windows, but I have to get into the command prompt first if I want to use NOBL.

And what about the Duke 3D settings? Please tell me what to do step by step. Thanks.

Reply 12 of 77, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dyinginformant, this is how I got Duke to run...

1st, create a new VDMS shortcut to any game, then change it to point to command.com or cmd.exe. Enable EMS, DPMI and VESA support, if theyre not on already. Put it a directory with all your handy DOS utils (like NOLFB, SPEEDSET and MOUSESET). E.g. my directory structure looks like this...

D:\Old Games\ - Has the cmd shortcut + dos utils in it
|---------------Duke3d\
|---------------MOO\
|---------------MOO2\

etc.

Anyway, run the new cmd shortcut you made (You may get an error, "The file 'C:\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe' does not appear to be a valid MS-DOS executable or batch file. Do you want to continue?". Hit yes). This should bring up a fullscreen dos window.

Run NOLFB.COM

cd to your Duke3d dir.

Run SETUP.EXE.

Go to the "Sound Setup" option, disable all sound.

Go to the "Screen Setup" option, select "VESA modes (SVGA/VESA 2.0)", select 800x600.

Go to "Save and Launch Duke Nukem 3D"

Then you can try enabling music and sound, but be warned, its not likely to work. At all:)

Ah, the admin's making warm fuzzies again.

(Hide all the sharp objects everybody...)

I dont hide sharp objects, I wield em;)

My personal favorite is to take six knives, slot em in the gaps between my fingers, and prance around pretending to be Wolverine :)

"How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Reply 13 of 77, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NO SFX (Repeat NO SOUND EFFECTS) in Windows 2000 for BUILD engine games, Duke 3D, Redneck, Shadow Warrior, etc etc.

MUISC (General MIDI) works fine and VESA too (If your vid card supports and if your using NOLFB).

So try again but WITHOUT SFX.

NOLFB works in NT4/2K/XP with the SAME results. It's just that you can ONLY use SFX in XP with BUILD engine games.

truth5678 wrote:

I downloaded the VESA hack from Ken Silverman's page to run Duke Nukem 3D in VESA modes under Windows 2000. It didn't work for me -- Geforce 3 card. I was wondering is this program only works under Windows XP.
Thank you!
Truth5678

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 77, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Ah, there's your wit. I was wondering how long it was going to be...
seriously, though. Fix it or I'll jab an icepick through your forehead. It might not hurt at first, but just wait a couple seconds...

What? Was that to me? I was saying "Unbelievable" as that's what Ken's VESA patch is... unbelievable.

Originally posted by chanza I dont hide sharp objects, I wield em;) My personal favorite is to take six knives, slot em in the […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by chanza
I dont hide sharp objects, I wield em;)

My personal favorite is to take six knives, slot em in the gaps between my fingers, and prance around pretending to be Wolverine 😀

Bwaha. I like sharp objects too, hence the user name. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, so THAT'S what that means? I thought it meant you liked wearing high-heels. 😉

Anyway, dude. No.

First, make sure NOLFB.COM is in your DUKE3D directory.
Then, make a new text file in your DUKE3D directory, and put this in it:

NOLFB.COM
DUKE3D.EXE

Save it as a BAT file. (In Notepad, you need to put it in quotes or it'll append a ".txt" extension. Then, run THAT with VDMSound.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you chanza.

What about compatibility mode?

What about if I want to install the Plutonium Pack as well (I do)?

Will I get SoundFX? I'm supposed to also run the soundFX.exe in addition to NOBLF right? Otherwise it will crash?

Reply 18 of 77, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I meant the other thing to download from Ken Silverman's Build page. There is a soundfx.exe that fixes sound or makes it so the game won't crash or something.

Now, I have to admit, I hate to ask this. I feel like an idiot, but I don't understand how to use the VDMSound launchpad.

You see there is a VDMSRun.bat. When I run it, it says press any key to continue, then it closes. Hmm? When I ran it with VDMSound, so that I could get to the settings ( I thought I have to do this and then put .exe files in there or something the readme says). But now when I run the shortcut, it says it's already loaded so don't reload it. Then I look at the bottom of the screen, and DOS is in full screen when I click there, but it says there was a problem. I press any key and it closes.

So just how EXACTLY do I use VDMSound shortcuts or make them so I can get to the settings I want to set and then get into the command prompt in full screen, and then make shortcuts for other games?

Sorry, maybe I should pester the VDMSound people about this and not you people. Gawd, do I feel DUMB! But I'm not, I just don't get it. Now I don't know how I can fix those VDMSound shortcuts so that I can properly use them. What have I done?

I wish they would make it all one download and make it more userfriendly, or am I just missing something? I'm sure it's easy to use once I KNOW how to do it!

STEP BY STEP, tell me what to look for in my VDMSound directory, and how to set it up. It's already installed, but like I said, I think I messed it up. Please help!

I bet I'm gonna read plenty of LOLs now. I'm not usually this dumb. I have been around computers since 1986, I don't know what my problem is. But I definitely have one. 🙁

Reply 19 of 77, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I meant the other thing to download from Ken Silverman's Build page. There is a soundfx.exe that fixes sound or makes it so the game won't crash or something.

THERE IS!??!? *runs to find it*

VDMSound Launchpad, heh. It integrates into your shell. Run the "install.bat" file that comes with it and you're all set. Just right-click on whatever program you want to use it with and select the "Open with VDMSound" that has a musical note icon next to it.

Yes, it’s my fault.