VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simaobola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

It takes some 20 years since i used MSDOS... i started with MSDOS 3.30, and growing since...

My request is that i can't remember HOW TO CROSS DIR command and COPY CON that i used to build an TEXT FILE WITH TREE AND FILES SIZE.

Presently i confess i can't remember how to cross both line commands...

Can you help me?

Thank you

Simon

Reply 2 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you need copy con for this. More likely a simple redirect of dir something >file will do.

Also, I am not sure I know of a way to get dir to display a tree. There is a separate program that does it, called, unsurprisingly, tree, but it shows no file sizes.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 3, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"dir /s" goes through all sub-directories recursively. It is not a tree view, but it lists every file with date and size. If you also need hidden and system files, add "/a".
Also "help" is a very useful command. It even used to be hypertext, but it isn't anymore.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64