VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KHORG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, I've been playing around with MechWarrior 2 DOS & win95 versions and came across a bit of a problem

I've got win98/win2k dual boot, so I alternate between the two and I noticed today I can't run the 1.1 patch in 2K, which I did successfully install a couple of days ago in Windows 98.

I had this about a month ago with another batch file I was trying to run which was also fairly complex.

Essentially when it runs the batch file, it automatically chooses option 3 for me, and cancels the patching process.

I can always patch MW2 manually, or do it in win98, so I'm fine, just wondering if anyone knows what up here.

Oh, and for Dosfreak, I've been playing around with win95 MW2 in 2K, but can't seem to get any further than anyone else, all I noticed really were that during installation, it mentioned an error with ATL.DLL, not supporting unicode. There is a NT ATL.DLL and a win98 ATL.DLL, I presume it wants the win98 one, but it installs anyway. APcompat gives an error in MSVCRT.DLL, which is also a C++ library.

The "holovid" in the clan halls was apparently done in C++ while the rest of the game was done in C/assembly, but I'm not sure about the front-end.

Not sure about the DX2 incompatibility seeing as I couldn't get the game started.

The batch file is attached if anyone wants a peek

Attachments

• Filename
    patch.txt
    File size
    8.27 KiB
    Downloads
    164 downloads
    File comment
    had to rename it to .txt as phpBB (understandably) doesn't want people posting bat files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I guess it is this section that fails:

choice /c:123
if errorlevel 3 goto patchnot
if errorlevel 2 goto patchit
if errorlevel 1 goto viewme

The program CHOICE.COM is not included in my WinXP, and probably not in Win2K neither, so the batch file encounters a "File not found" error which sets ERRORLEVEL to some high number (9009 in WinXP).

Next the test for ERRORLEVEL >= 3 succeeds, and of it goes to label patchnot.

You can either force the batch file to always goto patchit, or you can simply copy CHOICE.COM from you Win98 into your Win2K system32 directory.
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, You can also try executing the patch in DosBox. Just to install the patch.

I've only tried MW2: 31st Century Combat (DOS) in W2K. Don't have the Windows ver.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline