Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all.

I have a system running MS-DOS 6.22. Here are the specs:

486DX2 66 MHz;
12 MB RAM (4 MB onboard + 8 MB in one SIMM);
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5402 512 KB;
ESS ES1868F Audio Drive sound card;
Quantum Fireball EL2.5A 2,5 GB IDE hard disk.

Note: this is an all-in-one Compaq Presario 433 machine.

Whenever I try to run DOOM2 1.666 I get various errors.

At first I mostly got this:

2016-02-26 19.54.21.jpg
Filename
2016-02-26 19.54.21.jpg
File size
2.16 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I tried upgrading it to DOS4G 2.01 — got the same error. Then I replaced it with DOS32A. Now I usually don't get any "divide by zero" errors, but I get one of the two cases:

- I get a single "beep" out of the speakers and then a blank screen. The system freezes and needs to be powered off (doesn't react to Ctrl+Alt+Delete);
- I see the logo screen, but right before the demo is supposed to run, the image doubles (can't catch it on the camera, sorry) and then I get a blank screen and everything freezes.

Edit: Oops, sorry. Looks like it's DOS4G 2.01 that doesn't result in divide by zero error, not DOS32A.

I've been playing a lot of different games on this machine, including XCOM, Lands of Lore, Ultima Underworld/Ultima 7, Eye of the Beholder and many others.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention I also can't run Wolfenstein. I'm just stuck at this screen after installation:

2016-02-26 20.54.46.jpg
Filename
2016-02-26 20.54.46.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license

What else can I do to run DOOM? Thanks!

Last edited by jheronimus on 2016-03-05, 19:14. Edited 2 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 38, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would suggest that you check your sound card settings, otherwise make sure you can run these games in DOSBox to rule out damage to your files.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 38, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try running with clean DOS start without any drivers (press F5 at boot).

Otherwise my guess is something with memory. Does Speedsys work?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Try running with clean DOS start without any drivers (press F5 at boot).

Otherwise my guess is something with memory. Does Speedsys work?

Running after F5 results in another Divide by zero.

Speedsys doesn't work, it gives me this:

2016-02-26 22.02.50.jpg
Filename
2016-02-26 22.02.50.jpg
File size
941.16 KiB
Views
File license

"Determining system contents... CPU clock/ERROR: Divide overflow."

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I would suggest that you check your sound card settings, otherwise make sure you can run these games in DOSBox to rule out damage to your files.

DOOM works under DOSBOX. Tried disabling all sound in the setup utility — same result.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the image corruption freeze I've mentioned.

Attachments

• 2016-02-26 22.31.14.jpg
    Filename
    2016-02-26 22.31.14.jpg
    File size
    1.98 MiB
    Views
    File license

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you physically pulled the sound card out and tried? Make sure any sound card settings are REM'd out of your autoexec and config files. Speedsys does not like EMM386. Do you have an add-in graphics card you can try? Any BIOS settings you've toggled?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Have you physically pulled the sound card out and tried?

Do you mean, to run DOOM2 or to run speedsys?

Make sure any sound card settings are REM'd out of your autoexec and config files. Speedsys does not like EMM386. Do you have an add-in graphics card you can try? Any BIOS settings you've toggled?

I actually tried both rem-ing everything and just running under F5. Originally speedsys says if there is EMM386 or anything else it doesn't like, it didn't say anything with rem-ed files and after F5. But it didn't work, too.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either. Since neither Doom2 nor Speedsys are working, I'm just wondering if there is a hardware conflict that could be determined quickly by running without the sound card installed.

Reply 9 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Either. Since neither Doom2 nor Speedsys are working, I'm just wondering if there is a hardware conflict that could be determined quickly by running without the sound card installed.

Tried that: removed the sound card, booted under F5. Speedsys doesn't work. DOOM2 allows me to a bit further (I can see the demo behind the menu) before giving me the same glitch and freezing.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any BIOS settings with the word "Shadow" in it that you can toggle between enabled and disabled? Different BIOSes refer to the setting differently, so it might be called BIOS Shadow, Shadow Memory, Shadow RAM, etc. Try toggling them one at a time between tests to see if any of them might fix the issue.

Reply 11 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Are there any BIOS settings with the word "Shadow" in it that you can toggle between enabled and disabled? Different BIOSes refer to the setting differently, so it might be called BIOS Shadow, Shadow Memory, Shadow RAM, etc. Try toggling them one at a time between tests to see if any of them might fix the issue.

No, there isn't.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 12 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Darn it. I have a DOS game (US Navy Fighters) that uses the Phar Lap DOS extender. This is incompatible with some motherboards unless you disable BIOS Shadowing. On my Packard Bell Multimedia C110, this game does not work and I have no BIOS settings to adjust, so I'm out of luck. On my other DOS machine, it does work and I don't even have to mess with BIOS settings. I don't know if this is what's going on with you, but your issue made me think of my own, hence why I brought it up. Hopefully someone else can give you some more things to try! Best of luck, mate.

Reply 13 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of you seem to assume that there is something wrong with my RAM, and so, less resource-hungry games are fine, while DOOM hits some kind of a damaged segment (that older games don't reach) in my RAM and crashes. I've just tried playing Elder Scrolls: Arena and had no issues — isn't that a resource-hungry game as well?

Also, I have 30 games installed right now. None of them had any issues with my sound or RAM. Could it be that DOS4GW error was unrelated (since it was largely resolved with an update) and it's something about ID's engines? Maybe it has issues with my integrated Cirrus Logic card? How do I check for that?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 14 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Darn it. I have a DOS game (US Navy Fighters) that uses the Phar Lap DOS extender. This is incompatible with some motherboards unless you disable BIOS Shadowing. On my Packard Bell Multimedia C110, this game does not work and I have no BIOS settings to adjust, so I'm out of luck. On my other DOS machine, it does work and I don't even have to mess with BIOS settings. I don't know if this is what's going on with you, but your issue made me think of my own, hence why I brought it up. Hopefully someone else can give you some more things to try! Best of luck, mate.

Well, Wolfenstein doesn't use an extender, right? I mean, the only thing these two games have in common is that they are both made by Id?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 15 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of you seem to assume that there is something wrong with my RAM, and so, less resource-hungry games are fine, while DOOM hits some kind of a damaged segment (that older games don't reach) in my RAM and crashes. I've just tried playing Elder Scrolls: Arena and had no issues — isn't that a resource-hungry game as well?

Also, I have 30 games installed right now. None of them had any issues with my sound or RAM. Could it be that DOS4GW error was unrelated (since it was largely resolved with an update) and it's something about ID's engines? Maybe it has issues with my integrated Cirrus Logic card? How do I check for that?

I don't suspect RAM. The fact that so many other games work led me to believe it was an issue more along the lines of my previous post (id software's DOS extender issue with your BIOS). If that is the case, you may not be able to do anything about it. I suppose it is possible that there are other BIOS versions to try that might allow you to change this setting, but it may not be worth the risk for two games. Do you have any way to install any other video card besides the onboard Cirrus Logic? If you can disable onboard graphics and use another graphics card, that will at least eliminate that possibility.

Reply 16 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

I don't suspect RAM. The fact that so many other games work led me to believe it was an issue more along the lines of my previous post (id software's DOS extender issue with your BIOS). If that is the case, you may not be able to do anything about it. I suppose it is possible that there are other BIOS versions to try that might allow you to change this setting, but it may not be worth the risk for two games. Do you have any way to install any other video card besides the onboard Cirrus Logic? If you can disable onboard graphics and use another graphics card, that will at least eliminate that possibility.

No, unfortunately, this system only has ISA slots, and I don't have any ISA videocards. And since it's an all-in-one it doesn't make sense to use anything but an integrated card (I'd have to use an external screen as well). BIOS isn't flashable to my knowledge, it's one of those Compaq F10 setups that are fairly limited.

Yeah, I know it's a system with a lot of limitations, but I've seen people on YouTube playing Doom on this machine 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 17 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I accidentaly tried running Wolfenstein under F5 and it worked. Looks like it did have issues with my sound card. DOOM2 doesn't run in this mode, though.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 18 of 38, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked the source code. Wolfenstein 3D uses EMS and XMS memory if available, but no DOS extender.

It seems there is a kind of hardware problem or conflict in your PC, and that's not specific to DOS4GW.

Could you post your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

Reply 19 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:

I just checked the source code. Wolfenstein 3D uses EMS and XMS memory if available, but no DOS extender.

It seems there is a kind of hardware problem or conflict in your PC, and that's not specific to DOS4GW.

Could you post your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

Here you go, thanks!

autoexec.bat

LH /L:0;2,45456 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
LH C:\APPS\DOSKEY.COM -I
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;C:\APPS\PHOENIX
PATH C:\APPS
PATH C:\NC;%PATH%
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LH /L:0;1,3104 /S C:\APPS\CTMOUSE.EXE /3

@SET PHX=C:\APPS\PHOENIX