VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a lot of classic game collections on CD, and quite a few from gog.com.

I'm trying to recreate floppies from these bulk installation sources to play on my Tandy I've gotten working.

the problem is, of course, that I have no idea which files belong on which floppies.

Does anyone know of a good source for floppy directory lists or file content lists?

Reply 1 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some resources were split to span across multiple disks and the original installers would concatenate them. Often for CD redistribution they just used the fully reconstituted files with q new installer instead original floppy files. So you would possibly need more than just a list of the file layout of the original floppies.

That said, that may be less of a possibility for the Tandy era games that were often intended to be played from the floppy. Those would sometimes have duplicate resources if the same resources were required at different points in the game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 21, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Some resources were split to span across multiple disks and the original installers would concatenate them. Often for CD redistribution they just used the fully reconstituted files with q new installer instead original floppy files. So you would possibly need more than just a list of the file layout of the original floppies.

That said, that may be less of a possibility for the Tandy era games that were often intended to be played from the floppy. Those would sometimes have duplicate resources if the same resources were required at different points in the game.

Yeah that's precisely the quandry I find myself in. Games like the Sierra graphical adventures are pretty obviously segmented with resource.001/etc., but something like the old SSI gold box games are a giant mystery.

This is actually a fairly important piece of classic gaming that seems to have been completely overlooked!

Reply 3 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SCI0 games often had RESOURCE.001, RESOURCE.002, etc., which were never meant to be rejoined because of customers that had no HDD. Any duplicate resources needed for floppy play could be added to the separate resource volumes. By the time you get to the SCI1+ games the resource files usually were named RESOURCE.P0, RESOURCE.P02, etc. and would be concatenated into one RESOURCE.000.

Another problem that you may encounter is that some resources may be compressed and the original installer will decompress/extract them.

This something

keenerb wrote:

This is actually a fairly important piece of classic gaming that seems to have been completely overlooked!

This something I have looked into quite a bit over the last few years. I have been analyzing various installers to develop my new installers, Mostly Sierra and Sierra Family, but some non-Sierra installers, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would not recommend that anyone play a Sierra game that uses RESOURCE.0XX files unless you can fit them on one disk (pretty much just the Hoyle card games). If you want to torture yourself with the 16-color SCI0 games like King's Quest IV and Space Quest III, put all files on the first disk except for RESOURCE.002 on up. You should use a separate disk for each resource file thereafter. If you have resource.xxx files that are sized to fit on a 360K floppy, you copy two to each 720K floppy if your Tandy has a 720K drive.

Sierra's games are easy, other companies' games are not, you really need a disk listing for them

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 21, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have a hard drive in my 1000TL, but devices like the GoTek emulator really open retro gaming up for a lot of people unfortunate enough to not have hard disks. Sadly it's simply impossible to get some of these games playing even on the Gotek.

Technically it's not a hard drive, it's a LoTech compactflash adapter, but it counts...

Reply 8 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I would not recommend that anyone play a Sierra game that uses RESOURCE.0XX files unless you can fit them on one disk (pretty much just the Hoyle card games). If you want to torture yourself with the 16-color SCI0 games like King's Quest IV and Space Quest III, put all files on the first disk except for RESOURCE.002 on up. You should use a separate disk for each resource file thereafter. If you have resource.xxx files that are sized to fit on a 360K floppy, you copy two to each 720K floppy if your Tandy has a 720K drive.

Sierra's games are easy, other companies' games are not, you really need a disk listing for them

you can also pack the resource files together, removing duplicates and get it small enough it might fit with a single resource where two might spill over a disk size.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:

you can also pack the resource files together, removing duplicates and get it small enough it might fit with a single resource where two might spill over a disk size.

Depends on the game. Something like the Sierra AGI games had duplicate VOL files, but the SCI games that could be played from the floppy drive had any duplicate resources PACKED in the lager RESOURCE.0** files. These files were often large enough to use most of an entire disk. You also cannot tamper with their contents without having to rewrite the MAP file. Again, for the SCI0 games this is not so much of an issue as these RESOURCE.0** were never meant to be concatenated.

Knowing the disk contents for some games will be enough, but the ones that need the files on the disk distribution to be processed/expanded/extracted/joined, etc. you would also need to know this extra information. You can sometimes determine what the installer does if it uses a script file. If there is none you need to track what the installer does during an actual installation. You will need to determine the contents of any self extracting archives. For dealing with compressed files you will need to determine what they were compressed with. Sometimes this is easy as the decompressor used is included on the distribution media.

In any case for some games it will involve more, but a disk listing is a start for any game.

Reply 10 of 21, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also think it'll be a far more valuable resource for those games that initially were runnable FROM diskette.

It's less important functionally for Doom original installation disks be recreatable from the doom installation itself, for example. It might be aesthetically pleasing, but Doom was never runnable from floppy to begin with, so there's not a particular reproduction value there, in my opinion.

Reply 11 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

Depends on the game. Something like the Sierra AGI games had duplicate VOL files, but the SCI games that could be played from the floppy drive had any duplicate resources PACKED in the lager RESOURCE.0** files. These files were often large enough to use most of an entire disk. You also cannot tamper with their contents without having to rewrite the MAP file. Again, for the SCI0 games this is not so much of an issue as these RESOURCE.0** were never meant to be concatenated.

I wrote a tool that did that for you, for agi and sci games. repacked sci games, built map file etc. probably still around somewhere.

quick google shows an old version I wrote here;
http://sierrahelp.com/SCI/Wiki/index.php?titl … ource_Utilities

under 'SCI0 packer v0.1a by Dark Fiber'. its old, and maybe there is better tools around. somewhere i have a more current version from when i was hacking on sci1 as well.

the problems were back then, repacking means new crc/hash that didnt work with sarien/freesci/scummvm.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 12 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:

I do have a hard drive in my 1000TL, but devices like the GoTek emulator really open retro gaming up for a lot of people unfortunate enough to not have hard disks. Sadly it's simply impossible to get some of these games playing even on the Gotek.

Technically it's not a hard drive, it's a LoTech compactflash adapter, but it counts...

If you have a LoTech Compact Flash adapter, then simply transfer the hard drive installs over to the CF card. You can use a CF card reader in the system that contains your games, or transfer the files via Ethernet.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 13 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:
I wrote a tool that did that for you, for agi and sci games. repacked sci games, built map file etc. probably still around somew […]
Show full quote
collector wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

I wrote a tool that did that for you, for agi and sci games. repacked sci games, built map file etc. probably still around somewhere.

quick google shows an old version I wrote here;
http://sierrahelp.com/SCI/Wiki/index.php?titl … ource_Utilities

under 'SCI0 packer v0.1a by Dark Fiber'. its old, and maybe there is better tools around. somewhere i have a more current version from when i was hacking on sci1 as well.

the problems were back then, repacking means new crc/hash that didnt work with sarien/freesci/scummvm.

So you are Dark Fiber? I did notice the mega-tokyo.com link in your sig. If you find your updated version let me know and I can update the Wiki, even if SCI Studio and the new SCI Companion can strip the duplicates, too. Also the change in hash does not matter to DOSBox, of course. At least with SCI it is easy enough to use the original interpreter. Several of the AGI fan games were sloppy with their PIC resources to the point that it created memory/stack problems using the original interpreter.

Reply 14 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

So you are Dark Fiber? I did notice the mega-tokyo.com link in your sig. If you find your updated version let me know and I can update the Wiki, even if SCI Studio and the new SCI Companion can strip the duplicates, too. Also the change in hash does not matter to DOSBox, of course. At least with SCI it is easy enough to use the original interpreter. Several of the AGI fan games were sloppy with their PIC resources to the point that it created memory/stack problems using the original interpreter.

I am DF yes. I am slowly going back through some old archives, finding all sort of stuff I wrote. Often I'll find a binary with no source or something or crorrupted zip files. I'll see if I can find a later version of the packer or the agi packer if I can.

Reply 15 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you still have any interest in things AGI/SCI there are some interesting developments that have been occurring over the past year or so.

Reply 16 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

If you still have any interest in things AGI/SCI there are some interesting developments that have been occurring over the past year or so.

cool. I've not touched agi or sci since I merged sarien into scummvm and did some odd scummvm commits years ago. These days I'm busy building my own pinball machine. On reverse engineering front I'm more interested in making a compiler for magnetic windows or re'ing the old Angelsoft games but I dont think Angelsoft did an engine (mist, james bond etc) so much as recompile an evolving codebase for each game.

🤣 we are side tracking this thread quite a bit.

Reply 17 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:

🤣 we are side tracking this thread quite a bit.

Not that it really matters since keenerb has started a new thread for his project. Asking for assistance with a new project to document classic floppy disk contents

Anyway, let me know if you would like know about any of the recent developments, even if only out of curiosity.

Reply 18 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah sure, it would be nice to know. I have not paid much attention since we got it into scummvm. I know there were improvements to sci1 stuff.

I did start working on enabling the agi v1 stuff but there is magic going in in finding the files at the correct sectors on disk that I never figured out and gave up.