VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks,

Bit of an obscure one here, but not too many places to ask these days.
Does anyone have any of the drivers/patches for the Roland D-110/etc, for Sierra games? They ran up until KQ5, I think.

I know Cloudschatze had made some discoveries, but I think those disappeared along with the QuestStudios' forums.

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I may have something. When I get a chance to look and if I find anything I'll let you know.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did I die?

Those drivers and patch files are available in the following archive:
http://www.symphoniae.com/elw/sierrautil.zip

Also, if your D-110 has an OS > v1.09, here's the patch file for Leisure Suit Larry III that I "fixed" the bender range for:
http://www.symphoniae.com/elw/LSL3.000

Reply 3 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never, Eric 😀 More that I didn't know if I could reach you post-QS forums.

Thanks for posting, you totally rock! I did a ton of research today and found some mention of files on old BBS'es, but nowhere I could find them.

I recently purchased a D-110. RWI modded too, didn't even know such a thing existed! Haven't booted it up just yet.

EDIT: In your experience, did the D-110 patches yield any different results than remapping the D-110 to a MT configuration and playing with the normal driver?

Last edited by Spikey on 2016-05-21, 04:03. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote:

...I recently purchased a D-110. RWI modded too, didn't even know such a thing existed! Haven't booted it up just yet.

I used to have a D-110 a couple of years ago... I remember it being quite noisy. I thought RWI only did modifications to the MT-32... I'd love to hear the difference!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 5 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought the same thing. I saw the sale on eBay by chance last week, only was on eBay Australia, which is where I am now. Since I would want it to be a high quality alternative to the MT-32 for soundtrack recording, not for authenticity, I was happy to pick it up- no one else bid!

I will definitely post about it once I get it, and have had a chance to play around with it.

EDIT: Robin Whittle (RWI owner) sent me this info:

I recall working on only a few D-110s. I think that all I did was improving the sound quality, in exactly the same way as I did […]
Show full quote

I recall working on only a few D-110s. I think that all I did was
improving the sound quality, in exactly the same way as I did for the
MT-32. Some of the first MT-32s I worked on had a modification which
did improve the sound quality, but had a failing in that above a certain
signal level, there would be terrible distortion. As far as I know, the
D-110 mods were after I discovered this and so did things in a different
way.

He also mentions he may work on MT-32's again someday, but his Devil Fish (Roland TB) mods are keeping him busy.