VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fede2222

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm always adding games to my retro hercules PC.. 😁... Now is the time for LOOM...

I have the LOOM EGA Version... it works on CGA, EGA, VGA... on the hercules PC i can run it with SIMCGA (320x200) with no problems. This version is 3.5.40. But i don't remember if it was a native hercules (720x348) version.
loom_zpsv5plzsck.png

This page says that is an Hercules version... http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Loom.html

loom2_zpsxfakkwsk.png

Someone remember a version or which version has hercules support?.. or if it exists?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is native hercules support in the sampler on the linked page, which is probably the source of the screenshots.

The earliest intepreter version for Loom that I have (3.5.37), with code protection, does not have native hercules support. The earliest intepreter version for Secret of Monkey Island that I have (4.0.62), also released in 1990, does have native hercules support, but the support was dropped in later interpreter versions. So it seems the native support was kind of hit-and-miss.

Reply 2 of 5, by fede2222

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes.. ripsaw.. i don't notice the download...

mmm... Loom 3.5.37 that you said, and 3.5.40 (interpreter release for EGA version) don't have Hercules support..
But the sampler has the same Interpreter version that Monkey Island, which is 4.0.62
IMG_20160702_190704_zpsonacwda7.jpg

Maybe after initial release of Loom they release a Hercules version with the newer version of the interpreter... don't know... and i don't remember...

I took pictures for comparison on real hercules machine

Release Version (use interpreter 3.5.40) with CGA MODE - SimCGA previously loaded
IMG_20160702_185121_zpsefsdn2hl.jpg

Sampler Demo Version (use interpreter 4.0.62 same version as Monkey Island) with HERCULES MODE
IMG_20160702_185247_zps69xhyfyp.jpg

Hercules has better detail (resolution i suppose), the tree is an example. The character was taller... i prefer this size.
CGA is looking better than hercules on the uniform colors, the clothing of the character is an example... but CGA has some ghosts during interlacing in scroll, more noticeably on the intro when the nymph moves from the village to the tree...

Reply 3 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen every English version of the retail floppy version of Loom and none of the interpreters have Hercules support. Loom also uses 3.5.37 as well as 3.5.40. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Adventure Game, also uses a v3.xx interpreter and it does not support Hercules either. Unfortunately I sincerely doubt you can use an interpreter from a different game to obtain the Hercules support.

The title screen is not identical between the Sampler and the Full Game, but here is a comparison between the two :

sampler_000.png
Filename
sampler_000.png
File size
6.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
loom_000.png
Filename
loom_000.png
File size
3.85 KiB
Views
File license
loom_002.png
Filename
loom_002.png
File size
3.56 KiB
Views
File license

And here are some in-game graphics :

sampler_001.png
Filename
sampler_001.png
File size
6.79 KiB
Views
File license
loom_001.png
Filename
loom_001.png
File size
4.53 KiB
Views
File license

SimCGA adjusts the CRTC registers to get a more CGA-like resolution of 640x300, Sierra SCI games do this as well. SCUMM games do not adjust the registers but otherwise the resolution stretch is the same and they stick their upscaled graphics in the middle of the screen. Upscaling algorithms differ, and Lucas' looks a little nicer.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog