VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this problem has actually been experienced by me back in 1999 when i upgraded to a celeron300a oc 450, quake in dos simply plays faster than normal, and i thought something was wrong with my dos quake executable. since windows98 had become our everyday system and winquake was running fine on the same machine, i neglected the problem and played winquake for the next 17 years.
until recently, as i assembled a 486 rig, i thought of testing dos quake again. i installed a fresh copy of quake in dosbox and tried it, and its still playing too fast. does anyone know about this bug in details?

Reply 2 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

It's more of a DJGPP bug and is fixable (in the Quake source code) by using uclock() in sys_dos.c

well... does the bug apply to a certain series of cpu models, or just any computer fast enough?

Reply 3 of 5, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

It's more of a DJGPP bug and is fixable (in the Quake source code) by using uclock() in sys_dos.c

Can you provide some details?
I cannot reproduce this problem under DOSBox.
My DOS and Windows builds of Quake run at the same speed and the clock under Tab key matches wall clock.

Reply 4 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:
Can you provide some details? I cannot reproduce this problem under DOSBox. My DOS and Windows builds of Quake run at the same s […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Can you provide some details?
I cannot reproduce this problem under DOSBox.
My DOS and Windows builds of Quake run at the same speed and the clock under Tab key matches wall clock.

does your dosbox use speed limitations? mine doesn't and i think its emulated speed is close to a pentium3-600, timedemo is around 120fps.

Reply 5 of 5, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've measured the time (as displayed when pressing Tab), and there's only slight time dilation (about 2 seconds per minute) on Core i3-3110M with DOSBox (max speed).
This is hardly noticeable during play. Are you experiencing faster speeds?
I *may* be able to fix this and compile a new exe (based on 1.09 source) but I'm not yet convinced that it's worth the trouble 😉