VOGONS

First post, by paatudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Does these old games play .midi files as music ? for example does Duke Nukem 3D game play midi in-game ?
I'm playing official midi dukethemeGM.mid from my SB 16 OPL3 with Midier (Dos-midiplayer) and it doesn't sound even near the same as in-game.
Sounds like it's not fully coming through OPL3, some samples not correct.

Does this SB 16 CT2230 OPL3 Synth require drivers or some special settings to be enabled in dos ?
Been trying to get this working with Midier Dos player, I have tried all the others too, none of those plays duke3d theme correctly.

Reply 1 of 3, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FM synths (like the OPL3) do not have any built-in sounds. They need to be programmed in a way that produces the wanted sounds. Different OPL MIDI players and different games use different sounding synth parameters. So yeah, they all sound different when playing the same MIDI file.

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note for in the future, this forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers