VOGONS

Common searches

Dos Trouble

Topic actions

First post, by ThunderPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just started using DOS box and I am trying to play Quake 1 on it. Can someone help me with mounting a file so i can play the game.

Attachments

• DOS help.PNG
    Filename
    DOS help.PNG
    File size
    335.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThunderPhoenix wrote on 2021-01-20, 07:15:

It's what I am naming my file that has Quake

That's a nonsensical statement. Is that a directory (folder)? There is no such thing as a "file that has Quake"

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 12, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's how DOSbox works in laymans terms.....

First things first - you'd need to mount the folder with the DOS Games in it so DOSbox sees it as drive c:\ - it instructs you to do so at first start.

You type something like this....

mount c /users/user/dosgames/

substitute the /users/user/dosgames/ with the file path from your home directory to where the files are stored.

Then C:\users\user\dosgames would become your drive c:\ (assuming it exists) -

then type c:

this will take you to the C:\ drive you "mounted" (actually your directory of DOS games)

then type in cd\quake and type "Quake" and it should boot right up. AT that point it works just like real MS-DOS/PC-DOS/FreeDOS/DR-DOS on actual hardware for the most part. If you want to add and remove files, you can use the commands inside DOSbox or better yet, just copy and paste games to and from the folder you are mounted to.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 7 of 12, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hawkeyefxr wrote on 2021-01-20, 17:44:

Read this with great interest as i an struggling with it as well. On a PC i got a game to load and run, but i'm dammed if i cn get a game to run on my Mac.

As mentioned in this thread, you're better off using a port for your platform and copying over the relevant game files as required.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 8 of 12, by ThunderPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
creepingnet wrote on 2021-01-20, 20:07:
Here's how DOSbox works in laymans terms..... […]
Show full quote

Here's how DOSbox works in laymans terms.....

First things first - you'd need to mount the folder with the DOS Games in it so DOSbox sees it as drive c:\ - it instructs you to do so at first start.

You type something like this....

mount c /users/user/dosgames/

substitute the /users/user/dosgames/ with the file path from your home directory to where the files are stored.

Then C:\users\user\dosgames would become your drive c:\ (assuming it exists) -

then type c:

this will take you to the C:\ drive you "mounted" (actually your directory of DOS games)

then type in cd\quake and type "Quake" and it should boot right up. AT that point it works just like real MS-DOS/PC-DOS/FreeDOS/DR-DOS on actual hardware for the most part. If you want to add and remove files, you can use the commands inside DOSbox or better yet, just copy and paste games to and from the folder you are mounted to.

It is saying that "this makes the directory d:\dosprogs act as the C: drive inside DOSBox. The directory has to exist."
Then I type in C:\users\user\dosgames like you said replacing user with my computer account. and it is saying illegal command.

Reply 9 of 12, by ThunderPhoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-01-20, 20:01:
ThunderPhoenix wrote on 2021-01-20, 07:15:

It's what I am naming my file that has Quake

That's a nonsensical statement. Is that a directory (folder)? There is no such thing as a "file that has Quake"

No, my file's name is DOSgames.

Reply 10 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like keenmaster486, I have to assume you're talking about a directory (aka folder) called DOSgames.

If you have created a directory on C:\ called DOSgames, when you open DOSBox the command should be exactly as you attempted in your screenshot:

mount c C:\DOSgames

If that's not working, one of these steps has not been done properly. Perhaps you can post a screenshot of your C:\ drive in Windows Explorer?