VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi

Is it possible to initiate a driver that usually is initiated from config.sys in DOS 6.22 prompt? Maybe through a batch file?

For instance I would like to be able to load this usb driver for dos at any time.

IMG_20210507_202347.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210507_202347.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hope I understand you correctly.

Create a [Common] section in your Config.sys file and place those two device drivers under that [Common] section.
Then, regardless which menu item you choose, it will always load whatever is listed under that [Common] section.

Also refer here for more examples: How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME

Reply 2 of 5, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I was a bit unclear sorry. I was wondering if you can initialize the driver after DOS has already started, if I were to choose an other option Me realized later that I needed usb support. (Also I could use this to remove the usb device and reconnect it without having to restart DOS and initialize the driver from config.sys)

I really don't know how drivers work in DOS, my big brother used to do it for me back in the days! 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are shareware/freeware utilities that would allow loading .SYS from DOS prompt. However, such things are not guaranteed to work with any kind of device drivers. Those are always considered as hacks, YMMV.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can read about those utilities at How to load DOS device drivers from the command line? . There's really no way of knowing in advance whether they will work with a particular device driver, though.