VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have these computers:

1) Pentium 200MMX, Intel TX430 chipset, 128 MB Ram, Voodoo 3 PCI - now I have added Voodoo 1 as well
2) Pentium 3 900 Mhz (1oomhz FSB), Intel BX440 chipset, 1GB Ram, Voodoo 2 SLI (different vendors, using FastVoodoo drivers)

For computer no.1 there are Voodoo 3 drivers (Mikepedo) with Glide2x.ovl in Windows directory. Later when experimenting with Voodoo 1, I did put Glide2x v1 from Vogons forum thread into game directory. I am also setting up Autoexec.bat env properties for Voodoo (the default you find on Voodoo 2). I tried all combinations with and without. I have removed EMM386 as well. I'm using only Himem.sys from Win98se.

Now Voodo2C.EXE is working in Windows 98 SE on Voodoo 3. When I place Glide 1.x in game directory and run CarmaV.exe, it will run using Voodoo 1. It is playable, not super smooth, though.

Computer no.2 is using same configuration, just HimemX.exe to limit DOS memory to 64MB (total XMS still shows 1GB and this is an issue for Death Rally installation for example). Computer 2 has same behavior. Voodoo 2 SLI starts in Windows, but refuse to work in DOS.

Tried also Voodo2C.EXE -vrush parameter.

In DOS, on both computers, it always freezes computer after launching the game. DOS4GW.exe starts, then blank screen. Trying to hit enter several times (sometimes it helps to skip the cutscenes). Nothing happening. Num lock is on and cannot be turned off. Computer needs HARD RESET.

Tried several Carmageddon versions. Max Pack (GoG), Splat Pack, Vanilla EU version. Also copied the first 3dfx patch carmav.exe, then second 3dfx patch voodo2c.exe. Yes, I did read all the threads here. This is 3rd day I'm working out the solution.

Right now, after removing EMM386.exe, and putting Glide 1.x in game directory, it successfully starts on computer no.1 with Voodoo 1 in DOS. But the FPS is veeeery slow. Much slower than running in Windows. While it should be opposite.

Running the GoG version of the game under DOSBox on i7 Win10 provides smooth gameplay. Also movie do play. With 3dfx in Windows movie freeze and needs to be skipped using enter key.

I think I tried everything. Computer has standard Sound Blaster ISA card and PCI 3com network card.

Reply 1 of 2, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should use an older version of GLIDE2X.OVL for Voodoo Graphics in DOS. I had that issue when using the latest drivers as they only works on a Windows 9x environment only. Try the GLIDE2X.OVL that comes from this Diamond CD. You can't exactly use the Voodoo2 environment (V2AUTO.INF) on that card as it will overclocked to 90 MHz!

Try these for DOS:

SET SST_RGAMMA=1.7
SET SST_GGAMMA=1.7
SET SST_BGAMMA=1.7
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1

1.7 is the default gamma, you can change it if you want to 1.0 or 1.3. The other properties are not necessary for DOS unless you card has for than 4MB and/or want to overclock it.

For the computer #2 you need an specific version of GLIDE2X.OVL as using the Voodoo2 on a fast computer with earlier drivers causes freezing and the latest GLIDE2X.OVL doesn't work with Carmageddon. I don't remember which version was exactly though but it's a slightly older driver though.

As a side note for the computer #1 use 64MB RAM instead of 128MB as the Intel 430TX can only cache up to 64MB. Using more than that hurts the performance of that computer.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 2, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, solved. Basic mistakes. It looks like it was IRQ conflict between PCI and ISA soundcard. In BIOS I put PnP OS: No and set IRQ=5, DMA=1, DMA=5 for ISA. Now it load fast in DOS, fps is smooth. Playing on Voodoo 3, P200MMX. I also tried downloading the first Voodoo 3 drivers from Phil's website, but that did not solve the case. Strange thing is that SNDSETUP.exe for Carmageddon, I set no sound there. Because I was telling myself, first I make it working without sound because I will have some issues with the sound 😁