VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
I'll start by saying I'm very much a novice with DOS, I grew up in the W98 and XP era, so I'm still learning.
A couple times now I have tried to get my IBM 5152 printer working through DOS with no success. This is mostly just for a basic test of the parallel port on various PCs I've been restoring.
I know the printer works, as in Windows 95, I can print no issues.
But no idea what I'm doing in DOS. From the googling I have done, I am just doing "PRINT C:\xxxxx.txt /D:LPT1". Xxxxx.txt then shows in the print queue, but nothing from the printer. "Dir > LPT1" also does nothing.
Checkit complains about the printer not responding.
This could be faulty hardware, but this is the 2nd time this has happened, so I wonder if its something silly that I'm missing.
Any thoughts, or more tests to do?
Cheers
Andrew

Reply 1 of 3, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be fairly plug and play so long as the printer has paper and the select/online light is on.
Are you sure you don't have multiple parallel ports in this machine seeing as it is DOS 3.3? The MDA video card also has a parallel port for example.

Reply 2 of 3, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And there is my stupid mistake!
Of course theres a LPT port on the IBM MDA card I'm testing everything with. Plug the printer into that and it all springs to life!
I don't know how I hadn't thought about it before, I've spent a while trying to sort this out. Now just to work out how to disable it, as I want to test some other LPT ports, mostly on a 286 board I have, with them built in.
Andrew

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

COPY TEXT.TXT PRN

PRN is the standard alias for printers. Default is LPT1, I think.
AUX was a similar thing (from the CP/M days). It equals COM1.

Edit: The LPT1 on a Hercules clone is at address $3BC.
Many BIOSes will favour it over $378 and $278.
That means that the LPT ports are shifted.
The former LPT1 at 378h will become LPT2..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//