VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's something random quirky I observed recently 😀

I think each level in Lemmings is supposed to have a specific tune chosen to play in that level. This seems to be the case at least on DOS, when one completes a level, and enters the next level: a specific tune for that level (not necessarily unique, as many music clips repeat on multiple levels) will begin to play.

However, after failing any level, the music tune will revert back to playing the clip "Take Good Care Of My Lemmings" that plays out in the first level of the game. You can listen to the tune in question as the first one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3vMAmEnsY

This summer I finished the whole DOS Lemmings game on my own, and I found this "failure-resets-to-level-1-music" behavior to be one of the more frustrating aspects for immersion: whenever I'd fail a new level after the first scout&planning run, this same "tune of shame" would start, and listening to it gets old really quickly. You don't get much time to enjoy many of the other really nice music clips in the later levels, since it is rare to beat any level on the first go.

The title of that tune, "Take Good Care Of My Lemmings" is somehow apt to describe the occurrence 😀 Although I struggle to believe that this would have been the planned behavior(?)

If someone has asm patching fu, then fixing the game to replay the specific music of that level would definitely improve the gameplay experience (or maybe replay a random tune from the list of already heard tunes from previous levels)

Cheers, happy I finally beat the game 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clb wrote on 2022-09-18, 15:52:

The title of that tune, "Take Good Care Of My Lemmings" is somehow apt to describe the occurrence 😀 Although I struggle to believe that this would have been the planned behavior(?)

I considered that, too, but actually "Take Good Care Of My Lemmings" isn't actually the official title of that tune, but it is the title of level 19 on the "fun" difficulty having that tune as default music. So this seems like coincidence, indeed.

Reply 2 of 2, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested DOS version of Oh No! More Lemmings, and there that bug is not present: restarting a level will not reset the music track to the one from the first level. So this does look like a bug that DMA Design did catch while developing the sequel/level pack.