VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry for posting ina new thread but I'd like to add something wihtout searching all over the board.
go to http://pentagram.sf.net
Pentagram aims to make it possible to play all Ultima 8-engine-based games on modern computers and OS.
This is from a bunch of the Exult-team.
So far the engine is just out of the planning stage and is slowly progressing. For direct information visit us in #pentagram on irc.openprojects.net.
Maybe in another two months you can see Crusader crash with it 😀

Edit: Ultima 8-engine games: Ultima 8, Crusader: No Regret and Crusader: No Remorse

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sure I'll keep an eye on it (after all I'm the guy whop is supposed to write the documentation and the FAQ once it is in a more useable state).
There is a mapviewer code/binary (win32) snapshot at the Exult download page if you care to test it somewhat.
http://exult.sourceforge.net/download.php

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by NoGood Well, how do I use it, for instance, to make Crusader work?

Read more carefully. If you go back to his first post, he clearly states:

So far the engine is just out of the planning stage and is slowly progressing.

If/When it actually becomes playable, you can be sure they will make an announcement.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Exactly. Right now we have a mapviewer, an animation viewer, a glob viewer and a shapes viewer in the "old" CVC repository.
In the actual CVS we have the actual Pentagram program working somewhat, meaning it runs some opcodes and then crashes.
As to how to actually use those viewers with Crusader, I don't really know but I think with some of the other utilities we have there you might get it to run.
Win32 binary snapshots are availlable on the exult download page (http://exult.sf.net )
As for when it is actually playable... Have patience, the program is not abandoned but quite the opposite, very well planned (learnt from mistakes in Exult) and progressing in a slow pace...

Reply 8 of 9, by ShadowLord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, a bit more about running Crusader on Windows systems.
It actually runs fine (well it has a few sound and video artifacts, but it -does- run).

The big problem is that, like Ultima, it can't handle more then 256 MB ram. There is no way of making windows report a smaller RAM size to the game. You can only restrict the memory it may actually use, but this doesn;t change the memory report to the game (which then fails because of overflow of some sort).

So even creating a DOS boot disk for Crusader won't work on your 256MB+ system.

There are 3 ways of solving the problem:
1) Rip out some of your memory so you get below the 256 line (64 or 128 would be nice)
2) Use virtual PC software that does allow you to actually report less memory to crusader.
3) Someone write a NTVDM 'hack' that allow you to actually set the reported ammount of ram.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please tell us with which Windows OS you've been trying this and with which of the two games. Also AFAIK the Crusaders don't have the RAM problem. Anyway in real dos you can circumvent this with
1. enabling "Memory hole at 64 MB" (or similar) or
2. Creating RAM-Disks to "kill" your excessive RAM amount. Preferably don't use the MS-Ramdisk utilites but another one (MS' ones max size is quite small)

Also AFAIK only Ultima 8 suffers from the memory bug and quits at more than 128 MB already...