VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by notsonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently been messing with my 486 pc and have been trying to maximize compatibility and minimize weird bugs across different games.

I usually run this sound card: Shout Out to Media Magic's ISP16 but I'm having problems in some games due to the 48x IDE cd rom drive I have. Before just buying a period accurate drive (I've tried the TEAC_CDI driver with the /S parameter, and CDBQ and they don't work with my drive) I decided to go into the parts bin and pull out my CT1770 SCSI Sound Blaster 16 and give that another go.

So far so good. I'm using a IBM 73H2600 8x cd rom drive. After setting the jumpers correctly (enable termination, ID 1, removed everything else) the main games I seemed to be having CD drive issues with, Night Trap and Phantasmagoria, are working great. Doom works and doesn't seem to get hanging midi notes. King's Quest V is working with midi as well.

But King's Quest VI was giving me problems. I tried the AUDBLAST.DRV that was included in whatever version I have (I believe it's the original KQC box set) and I also tried the updated one from sierrahelp. Speech would stop working after a few samples, the mixer settings would reset and I'd no longer get midi passing through, etc. I tried increasing audioSize, enabling and disabling extra memory, enabling and disabling smartdrv, etc. Nothing helped.

In the installer I noticed that it was giving me a check mark next to the ThunderBoard driver (AUDTHUND.DRV). I figured why not. And it just works! I guess there's some irony in using a driver for a clone card with the real card.

Has anyone else had this experience with trying AUDTHUND instead of AUDBLAST?

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
notsonic wrote on 2022-10-26, 04:28:

I usually run this sound card: Shout Out to Media Magic's ISP16 but I'm having problems in some games due to the 48x IDE cd rom drive I have.

If that card is based on an OPTi chip, it should have excellent WSS compatibility.

In Sierra games from that time period, I found that selecting the WSS (Windows Sound System) option in setup is less buggy than using Sound Blaster, if both are supported by the sound card. It's been a while since I've tested this, but I think the CD version of King's Quest VI does support WSS. Not sure about the floppy release.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 2, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's a known fix. One of the Sierra games' help file (README) even says something like "If you're having problems with the Sound Blaster driver, try selecting ThunderBoard, even if you don't have one.".

I had to do it on my Pentium 1 with Larry 6, IIRC.