VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Evil Carrot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having problems running any of the following
games on my computer.

All of the games start normally with VDMSound and the sound works, but both crash in some occasions.

X-Com 1 crashes when i select a place where I want to build my base
X-Com 2 crashes in port attacks and ship route attacks.
Daggerfall crashes when saving.

My friend got both of the X-Com games to work on a windows 98se comp perfectly. (the same versions)

I've tried playing all of the games both on NTFS and FAT32 and I've also tried quite much everything with VDMS.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
AMD Duron 900MHz
GeForce 2 MX400
Sound Blaster Live!
256MB 133MHZ SDRAM

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well for the XCOM's I'd recommend getting the WIN32 versions. They will be FAR more stable than the DOS versions under Windows.

As for Daggerfall, it's a buggy game. Have you patched it? It also is one of those games that works best under DOS. I'd recommend running it under real DOS or using Connectix Virtual PC.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by Drogg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Whatdya mean, won't work? That doesn't make any sense!

There's a bug with the way X-Com makes directdraw calls, as I recall, that horribly distorts the display when you're running directx 7 or higher on a Geforce X. f0dder has written a patch that disables directdraw as it starts the executable then re-enables it when its done, which is kind of a crude fix, but it works. You can download it at his site in the 'essays' section or at the x-com supersite, http://www.xcomufo.com . That latter site also has downloadable versions of the win32 executables.

As for Daggerfall, bethesda has released an uberpatch that includes vdmsound for running daggerfall on XP and I believe Windows 2000 -- here's a download link.

eins, zwei, drei, vier.

Reply 8 of 8, by Evil Carrot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

X-Com games work just perfect now, with the patch, but i'm still experiencing the same problem with Daggerfall 🙁

I don't really know what's wrong, but I really don't care anymore since I probably wouldn't of played it that much and I tried to get it to work mostly for my friends. (although I am going to play X-Com 😀

Thanks for all your help!