Heretic in 640x480?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2023-09-30, 12:22:

If you want to run Hexen in DOS in 640x480 resolution I suggest trying hack-of-a-port of my own. It supports 640x400 and 640x480 resolutions using the method @gerwin has used for MBF 2.4 (i.e. with horizontal "pillars" in 640x480 - and it actually uses code that @gerwin authored for that), supports demos, should be save game compatible and includes quality of life improvements, like free mlook with wider vertical range, going back to players's save game when dying as opposed to game's own autosave, more sound channels, additional savegame slots, simpler mouse interface for flying and such. You can get it here and source is available on moddb.

I tried it. It is nice to see see the MBF 2.04 rendering and sound interfacing in Hexen like that.
In Dosbox I had crashes when trying to select the 3rd character "Mage". Never got past that. "Fighter" and "Cleric" work fine.
Noticed you moved the sources from GitLab to ModDB. Anyways, Thanks for sharing!

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 21 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ohh... something left-handed with the build I guess, but that has not happenned to me in DosBOX, and I am actually currently playing Mage in Win98. As for the source code location, yes I am making a new home for Bernew in moddb, so will move it over once again - anyway, Bernew not being a Heretic topic as such, I think I'll probably post into Release Announcements once the build is up in the new place.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 22 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2023-07-20, 19:35:
ZellSF wrote on 2023-07-20, 08:00:
Why don't you want to use a source port? […]
Show full quote

Why don't you want to use a source port?

If it's because you can't run shaders there's Magpie and ShaderGlass. There's also ReShade, though that isn't suited for upscaling shaders.

Is it because they're inaccurate? Because I have some news for you about Doom95 and Hexen95 then... Especially playing at 640x480, which I believe those ports do not support properly and you don't actually want anyway. See Doom's 2D UI elements are made for 320x200, there is no clean way to scale that to 640x480. You can render the "3D" parts of the game in a different resolution, but the UI and weapon sprites will either look bad or have the wrong aspect ratio.

I recommend you find a modern source port that supports 640x400 and use Magpie or ShaderGlass for whatever shaders you want. I seem to recall having some issues with Doom Legacy and I would guess it's going to be a worse experience than a modern port though at the end of the day it's still the same game.

because i want to use scalefx-aa-fast, is the best shader that i saw for old games, enhances the colors and smoothes all the edges, it's awesome and you can find it only in retroarch

A bit late, but apparently there's a solution for that:
https://forums.libretro.com/t/official-releas … st-core/40464/3
I expect this has zero mouse handling, unlike Magpie, but for Heretic that shouldn't be a problem.

Reply 23 of 26, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2023-09-30, 12:22:
Apologies if the bump is no longer relevant, but I have myself just found out Legacy runs Heretic very smoothly in VESA resoluti […]
Show full quote

Apologies if the bump is no longer relevant, but I have myself just found out Legacy runs Heretic very smoothly in VESA resolutions.
I was using 1.4.0 DOS build but in 1024x768 and it worked superb, I only noticed the lighting was somewhat brighter than in the original, especially noticeable at higher resolutions, even with brightness at minimum, but overall Legacy turned out to be such a cool port, playing Heretic with it is a pleasure (as is Doom by the way). It does not seem to support Heretic demos, though. And it seems that by the time Hexen support was complete DOS version was no longer maintained.

Alternatively I tried HeXetic build available on the Internet Archive and it was able to run Heretic in higher resolution. According to the archived home page it should also run Hexen, but I did not figure out how to do that. Not sure if it runs demos either, and you are locked into full screen view with its custom alternative HUD only.

If you want to run Hexen in DOS in 640x480 resolution I suggest trying hack-of-a-port of my own. It supports 640x400 and 640x480 resolutions using the method @gerwin has used for MBF 2.4 (i.e. with horizontal "pillars" in 640x480 - and it actually uses code that @gerwin authored for that), supports demos, should be save game compatible and includes quality of life improvements, like free mlook with wider vertical range, going back to players's save game when dying as opposed to game's own autosave, more sound channels, additional savegame slots, simpler mouse interface for flying and such. You can get it here and source is available on moddb.

What is Legacy??? It is very difficult to google this keyword. I want Heretic in 640x480 in Windows 98.

Reply 24 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently, Doom Legacy used to be a very popular Doom source port in 00-s; there's a an introductory video by Dwars on YouTube on it and googling "Doom Legacy" actually yields wiki page with information on it, including download locations.

Okay, okay go here please https://archive.org/details/old-doom-legacy , but there's still the fun bit of choosing the file to download. Wouldn't be able to recommend a Windows build, but version legacy_140_dos.zip runs fine in Windows 98 for me (also reading through the OP posts in this thread can help).

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 25 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this thread is diverging from the ask by the OP then I suggest opening a new thread and discussing it there.

As far as Windows ports that run Heretic in 9x use:

ZDoomCL 2.1.4a (95)
Vavoom 1.27.1 (95)
Chocolate Heretic 2.3.0 (95-98-ME-NT4)
Crispy Doom 3.2 (95-98-ME-NT4)
Rude 2.5.0c (95-98-ME-NT4)
ZDoomLE 2.8.1f (95-98-ME-NT4)
Doomsday 1.8.6 (98-ME)
Zdoom 2.1.8 (98-ME)
DelphiDoom 2.0.7.735 (98-ME-NT4)
Doom Legacy 1.48.12 (98-ME-NT4)
zdoom32 2.8.7 (98-ME-NT4)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking about Doom Legacy here again - a new version has been pushed into SF where some work went towards compiling in DOS (although no clear confirmation of the success).
I wonder if that means that - provided the builds materialize - Heretic and Hexen are available in DOS in all legacy glory, with hi-res and CD-audio support?
Myself, I have checked the Makefile and the probability my DJGPP toolchain handles this correctly is pretty low, so waiting for the "authorized" builds.