VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheCabal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,

I got Falcon A.T. on Steam. I remember the previous Falcon (Amiga) having music and sounds.
Falcon A.T. has no sound... I thought I heard some system sounds but thats it; they vanished completely.

I only have two options in Falcon A.T.:

Sound on /off
Innovation on/off

Falcon on Amiga was superior in terms of this. How is this possible? Am I missing some DOSBox conf settings here?

Greetings,
Cabal

Reply 1 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

You aren't doing anything wrong. Being such early game, sound support will be limited to PC Speaker and the rare Innovation SSI-2001 sound card (given that is mentioned in the options) that uses the SID chip. The latter is emulated in some DOSBox forks.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try the next version - Falcon 3.0, or Falcon Gold which includes it - if you'd like something which actually uses VGA (A.T. only uses EGA) and has audio. I seem to recall that Falcon A.T. would run on some really ancient machines, but Falcon 3.0 was actually something that required a relatively modern machine at the time, and I remember it being a challenge to make enough memory available for it.

Reply 4 of 6, by darkenedroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want the optimum falcon experience then it has to be the amiga version and emulation. Had a quick look at WinUAE and in theory it should be possible to use a hotas, although I haven't tried it yet.

Reply 6 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-21, 13:10:

Falcon A.T should be hires where the others are lowres.

Good point, I forgot about that. It's 640x400 with 16 colours, whereas Falcon 3.0 and the other related games in the "Electronic Battlefield Series" are VGA 320x200 with 256 colours.