VOGONS

Common searches

Descent

Topic actions

First post, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Descent freezes every time I try to load a saved game.
It will start a new game OK.

The game will also freeze randomly if I bring up the F1 menu (not every time)

PII 350mhz
Intel 440BX
using a regular IDE hard disk
128MB RAM
Win98 (running Descent in DOS Mode)
Installed from Official Descent CD, so it should be patched up?

I've tried running with -no music. I'm turned off all sound in SETUP. Don't think it is a sound issue.
I'm stumped, any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

your machine is very fast for the game, you should have already noticed it running way too fast ingame. the only chance is to run it in 640x480, which you need the patch for. patch from 1.0 to 1.4a first, then to 1.5, due to the 1.0->1.5 patch being bugged. the patch readme will say what argument is needed to launch in 640x480.

Reply 2 of 3, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
auron wrote on 2023-08-04, 00:36:

your machine is very fast for the game, you should have already noticed it running way too fast ingame. the only chance is to run it in 640x480, which you need the patch for. patch from 1.0 to 1.4a first, then to 1.5, due to the 1.0->1.5 patch being bugged. the patch readme will say what argument is needed to launch in 640x480.

That worked!
Funny I thought the CD-ROM version was pre-patched, it was still 1.0. The only thing is, when running in 640x480, you lose the HUD.
Oh well, it looks awesome. I didn't know Descent 1 could look this good.

Thanks

[EDIT] Actually all that was needed was to patch to 1.4A. I don't need to run in 640x480 (though it looks good). I can still run normally with the HUD if I want with no freezing.