Common searches

System Shock and Memory

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if those alternative drivers (xH or whatever the hell it is) are going to include a DOS driver. (Or are they solely making Windows 2000/XP drivers since they're the only ones with the stupendously shitty, uh, workingness?)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 41 of 90, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was a while ago, but I am sure I was succesfull running System Shock 1 under W2k or Wxp. I remember it because I was using fluid soundfont to play the midi-music. I'l go and find SS1 so I can prove it 😀

Reply 42 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fisu wrote:

It was a while ago, but I am sure I was succesfull running System Shock 1 under W2k or Wxp. I remember it because I was using fluid soundfont to play the midi-music. I'l go and find SS1 so I can prove it 😀

Fluid is notorious for not working under Windows 2000/XP without labourous workarounds (care of Creative's shitty drivers). If you loaded it without use of SB Dyn! or megafont, you lieeee! 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 43 of 90, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haven't been able to reply because of my ISP/or this forum was down. Anyway System Shock 1:

Floppy disk version works fine with Vdmsound
CD-rom version crashes into the email-web cursor memory error.

And yes, I used megafont 😀

Reply 44 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was the server here. Sorry about that. 😒 Something is leaking memory like a sieve, and I've been hard-pressed to track it down. At any given moment there is only about 15-20MB of free RAM. (Arrgh! Cobalt needs swift death.) Hopefully I can weasel my way onto a vanilla RedHat 7.2 server. 😀
Anyway, yeah, I've got the floppy version, but why would you want to play that when you've got the l33t hi-res CD version with digitised sound and shit? I mean, come ON. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 45 of 90, by Kuno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while ago I got SS1 to work in win98se. I know its different from win2k but it might help... Once I installed the program I made a shortcut to the .exe file. I then edited it under the memory tab. Here are the settings I used.

Conventional Memory
Total: Auto
Initial Environment: 3072
protected: checked

Expandable (EMS) Memory
Total: Auto

Extended (XMS) Memory
Total: 16384
Uses HMA: Checked

MS-DOS protected-mode (DPMI) Memory
Total: 16384

I hope this helps out. 😀

Kuno

Reply 49 of 90, by onemangang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Win XP Pro , I have been able to get the System Shock intro to play
fine with SoundFX (availible on the net for $39,??. I bought it because VDMSound did not work well with Daggerfall on xp, would not
play the video off the cd-rom all the time.
As for SS1's memory settings, I get the 3007 email cursor error with
both the SShock and CDShock versions. I have a SB Live so I could
do a dual boot but I have alot of DOS and windows games and don't
want to take partition space away from my current partitions. I guess
I will have to wait til I get another HD. OR wait til someone puts out a fix/hack for SS!. I will keep an eye out for a fix. Eventually someone will come up with one. Its just a matter of how long it will take.

Paul

Gotta go pay for a game I won on ebay.

😀:)

Reply 50 of 90, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I certainly hope someone comes up with a fix for System Shock on 2k/XP since it's a game that should be savoured in perpetuity by future generations of gamers. You can trace such classics as Half-Life or Deus Ex directly back to SS's distinctive gameplay format and seminal style!

But the game's fussy enough in DOS proper. I let it sort out its own memory requirements (XMS DOS4GW stylee) by using my UMBPCI DOS setup. And don't even think about trying to use a disk cache with the game unless you fancy random freezarama... 😁

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 51 of 90, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm.... someone try running it in Win2000/XP, with VDMS, and Kuno's memory settings...

Heh - just noticed that one of the System Shock Hack Project guys has a bug/feature request/support request in at VDMSound's Sourceforge site.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 52 of 90, by onemangang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Kuno's mem settings in xp pro. The intro played great but when starting the game I got the usual email cursor error.

There is no way to run qemm in win xp is there? I will try anything onec. 😀

Reply 53 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
onemangang wrote:

I tried Kuno's mem settings in xp pro. The intro played great but when starting the game I got the usual email cursor error.

Those settings are for Win98. They will not "fix" the problem it has with any NT-based OS like XP.

There is no way to run qemm in win xp is there? I will try anything once.

No, and don't try it. Trying anything once on Windows is a bad idea unless you actually enjoy re-installing your OS. The problem has to do with the OS, not your memory. I have Win98SE and XP-Pro on the same PC. It works for me under Win98, doesn't under XP.

Reply 54 of 90, by weirdarsefreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i was sick of trying 2 get this game 2 run. tried the dos thing, had the same sound card issues. tried running it on a PC with windows 98 but the Dos emulation is bad and the game plays and sounds jumpy on even the lowest resourse hungry settings. 95 doesnt do much better of a job.

I was wondering if there are any windows programs that trick Dos 1's into thinking there is extended memory and all that stuff. like the old EMM? probably not, and i dont know how easy, or even useful, it would b 2 code 1 from scratch.

Other than this, the easiest solution that i can see is 2 wait 4 TSSHP 2 come up 2 scratch. whatever you do, DONT PLAY SS2 FIRST! i made this mistake and now the original just doesnt have the same feel. the pretty graphics and awesome sound in number 2 just dont compare 2 the original. i have been spoiled, and now i have paid the price. just hold off, it will be worth it. 😁

Reply 55 of 90, by onemangang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have actually played SS1 all the way through to the end. I was not able to purge SHODAN. When I played, in Win 98, the game crashed about every 5 minutes. Now I have installed a dual boot with 98 and xp but I cannot get the game to run. I can't even get the lower requirement sshock.bat to run. I get the email curser error. What is the min memory for the old version and the CD version?

I uninstalled the xp upgrade on my system to go back to win98se. I then reinstalled it to have a dual boot system. I am running qemm 8.03 but I am having problems getting SS1 to run. I have 600K free mem and I cannot run SS1 in the cCDshock or Sshock mode. I get the email cursor error. I used the memory settings listed earlier on this page. I used auto settings. Niether version of SS1 will run. I would like to know how to get so much memory from qemm. With qemm 8.03, my conventional base mamory is starting at 624k instead of 640k. I don't know if qemm is setting a page frame or something to eat up the 16k memory. How do I get this back? Then, when I run mem /c to check memory usage, dos is eating up another 17k of conventional memory. Any way to get rid of it? After that, when qemm tries to load command.com high, it says it can't find it even though it shows the right path to it--C:\command.com It askes me to specify the path to it. When I do, it executes the file instead of loading it high and then says it has a file creation error. Is qemm 97 any improvement over qemm 8.03 in win 98se?

ANY and all help will be appreciated. email me at onemangang@yahoo.com.

Paul:o

Reply 56 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by weirdarsefreak i was sick of trying 2 get this game 2 run. tried the dos thing, had the same sound card issues. tried running it on a PC with windows 98 but the Dos emulation is bad

At the DOS level there's not going to be much of a difference between DOS6/Win9x. More likely the problem is that your video and sound cards were designed for the "Post-DOS" era. I pieced together a machine with an ISA SoundBlaster and a LightSpeed128 video card (I got it specifically because it was reviewed to perform very well in DOS) and old titles seem much more friendly to set up than on a new machine.

I was wondering if there are any windows programs that trick Dos 1's into thinking there is extended memory and all that stuff. like the old EMM? probably not,...

Well getting XMS and (usually) EMS is not a big problem for Windows. Your problem is that "System Shock" was programmed to use VCPI memory (even though you'll see EMS memory errors...trust me, VCPI is the problem).

So far we haven't been able to get SS working with sound within Windows due to the VCPI problem.

Other than this, the easiest solution that i can see is 2 wait 4 TSSHP 2 come up 2 scratch.

Slight concern here. It's gotten awful quiet on the TSSHP since August.

At least the GLBuild project was updated this month.

whatever you do, DONT PLAY SS2 FIRST!

Heh. Know what you mean. At this point, I'm more than a decade "behind" on games. Can't play "System Shock" until I finish "Cyclones".

Reply 57 of 90, by weirdarsefreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cyclones? never played it, but it looks interesting. took a while 2 find some good information on it tho. had 2 visit the good ol' home of the underdogs b4 i found nething useful. check it out @ http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=CyClones

how does that go under XP? mabye it is enough to hold all of us off until we can get System Shock 1 going? it wont live up 2 the master, but u never know... oh well just a thought.

Even though things do look quiet over @ TSSHP its still geing worked on rite? the guys r still busy working away rite? if not im sure there would b a million fans willing 2 help out rite? i know im not experienced, but if there was nething i could do 2 save a classic...

Reply 58 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by weirdarsefreak Cyclones? never played it,...

Came out during the DOOM days. Action-oriented, but mission-based.

Even though things do look quiet over @ TSSHP its still being worked on rite?

Beats the heck out of me. It's just that when you see six months or more go by without an update...don't be surprised when people bail...

Reply 59 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
onemangang wrote:

I uninstalled the xp upgrade on my system to go back to win98se. I then reinstalled it to have a dual boot system. I am running qemm 8.03 but I am having problems getting SS1 to run.

Don't use QEMM. Don't.

I have 600K free mem and I cannot run SS1 in the cCDshock or Sshock mode. I get the email cursor error. I used the memory settings listed earlier on this page. I used auto settings. Niether version of SS1 will run. I would like to know how to get so much memory from qemm. With qemm 8.03, my conventional base mamory is starting at 624k instead of 640k.

640KB is the total amount of conventional memory. You can't GET 640KB of free conventional memory, period. 624KB is a lot. The most I've been able to get with EMS, sound card and CD-ROM support was 591KB.

I don't know if qemm is setting a page frame or something to eat up the 16k memory. How do I get this back? Then, when I run mem /c to check memory usage, dos is eating up another 17k of conventional memory. Any way to get rid of it?

Sure. Don't run DOS.
Learn about conventional memory.

After that, when qemm tries to load command.com high, it says it can't find it even though it shows the right path to it--C:\command.com It askes me to specify the path to it. When I do, it executes the file instead of loading it high and then says it has a file creation error. Is qemm 97 any improvement over qemm 8.03 in win 98se?

DON'T USE QEMM. Search for 2DOSWIN on this forum and make the necessary adjustments to get sound card and CD-ROM support.

ANY and all help will be appreciated. email me at onemangang@yahoo.com.

Turn on Email Notification!

Yes, it’s my fault.