VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ehm, I am not sure I get the question, sorry.

So normally, there are three separate buttons in Heretic that control flight: up, down and center ( center also puts the wings artifact countdown on pause). Now, I would not know if to beat the game one needs to use flight, but it one has to they need theese 3 buttons mapped to something on the handheld...

In case the version of Retroarch you run allows you to, say, use a button or shoulder as "shift" and have arbitrary buttons act differently, depending on whether you have this "shift" pressed or not, you could probably map them.

Otherwise, you could patch the game with HTICFLY and use existing forward, backwards and use buttons to control flight. Only there is no special handling of the fly center button - it remains the same as in unpatched Heretic.

Handheld questions aside, I have always disliked the way Heretic and Hexen managed flight (and vertical look for that matter), so wanted to experiment with an alternative approach. E.g. for a Keyboard + Mouse set up with WASD used for movement, pressing Spacebar + W feels much less distracting (even more ergonomic) for me than going after an arbitrary key to take off. Also as an example, im my Hexen source port I have added freelook and flight is controlled with mouse movement and mouse jump button double click.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 21 of 26, by hereticnext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I accept suggestions, I have no idea if one inventory key is enough or both are needed. I also don't know if the take of power needs to have a separate key, in the original game it was backspace
handheld https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51nrL3RAW … _AC_SL1100_.jpg

AVAILABLE BUTTONS

D-Pad Up → Move Forward (Keyboard Up)
D-Pad Down → Move Backward (Keyboard Down)
D-Pad left → Turn Left (Keyboard Left)
D-Pad right → Turn Right (Keyboard Right)

Select → Map (Keyboard Tab)
Start → Show Menu (Keyboard Esc)

Menu button (R3) → Keyboard (Keyboard F1)

A → Fire (Keyboard Left-Ctrl)
B → Use (Keyboard Space), Strafe (Keyboard Left-Alt)
X → Stop Flying, Look Center (Keyboard Home)
Y → Run (Keybord Left-Shift)

L → Select Artifact (Keybord Left-Shift + Enter)
L2 → Previous Weapon (Keyboard 1)
R2 → Next Weapon (Keyboard 2)
R → Select Menu (Keyboard Enter), Use Artifact (Keyboard Enter)

B + D-PAD Up → Fly Up
B + D-PAD Down → Fly Down
B + D-PAD Left → Strafe Left
B + D-PAD Right → Strafe Right

UNSELECTED BUTTONS

Look Up → PGDN
Look Down → DELETE

Last edited by hereticnext on 2024-03-12, 15:22. Edited 10 times in total.

Reply 23 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And because I though Chex would be a nice game for the Anbernic device I now own, I also did a patch for Chex.
This one works like the Ultimate Doom patch above - [2] for previous, [8] for next.

Ultimate Doom and Final Doom patches shared before were flawed, there's an updated ZIP file now a few posts back.

Attachments

• Filename
    CHEXNXT3.zip
    File size
    1.42 KiB
    Downloads
    7 downloads
    File comment
    PatchMaker patch for Chex(R) Quest
    File license
    GPL-2.0-or-later

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 24 of 26, by hereticnext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only have to remap looking up and down, would it be possible to create a patch so that looking up was X + D-PAD Up and looking down was X + D-PAD Down? and it would be

AVAILABLE BUTTONS

D-Pad Up → Move Forward (Keyboard Up)
D-Pad Down → Move Backward (Keyboard Down)
D-Pad left → Turn Left (Keyboard Left)
D-Pad right → Turn Right (Keyboard Right)

Select → Map (Keyboard Tab)
Start → Show Menu (Keyboard Esc)

Menu button (R3) → Keyboard (Keyboard F1)

A → Fire (Keyboard Left-Ctrl)
B → Use (Keyboard Space), Strafe (Keyboard Left-Alt)
X → Stop Flying, Look Center (Keyboard Home)
Y → Run (Keybord Left-Shift)

L → Select Artifact (Keybord Left-Shift + Enter)
L2 → Select Weapon (Keyboard 2)
R2
R → Select Menu (Keyboard Enter), Use Artifact (Keyboard Enter)

B + D-PAD Up → Fly Up
B + D-PAD Down → Fly Down
B + D-PAD Left → Strafe Left
B + D-PAD Right → Strafe Right

UNSELECTED BUTTONS

Look Up → PGDN
Look Down → DELETE

Last edited by hereticnext on 2024-03-19, 15:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, while a patch for look up/look down is certainly possible, I am reluctant to produce one and for the following reasons:

1. Heretic has auto-aim, so looking up and down is not necessary during combat; your projectiles will go towards enemies above or below your level provided you are in principle shooting in their direction

2. I doubt there's much one would see in Heretic once they start looking up and down that one would not have already seen and once they do start, vertical shearing will kick in making things look ugly

3. I don't have an idea for an action button to use for looking. Use is already with fly up / fly down, and the rest either wor better without interfering with forward/backward movement, or have effect that one would rather not waste in case when two-button chord goes wrong and that effect is activated

Reply 26 of 26, by hereticnext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have been investigating and for example in the PlayStation game Hexen, both the run and freelook buttons are x, so the following configuration would be better:

Look up → R2 + D-PAD Up
Look down → R2 + D-PAD Down

Searching the forums, for example, it can be used to shoot downwards when flying, it would be a good use please