VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I setup the game for mt-32 sound output.
I use a Roland SC-88 configured in MT-32 emulation, the sound works fine!
But I have no effects, no engine sound, no crash sound....

If I configure the game for Sound Blaster all audio is ok (music and effects)

Any ideas?

My config:
-DOS 6.22
-AWE64
-Roland SC-88

Reply 1 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't have both sound blaster FX and MT-32 at the same time in some of these older games, it'll try and do the FX via MT-32, which obviously doesn't sound too flash. Not even the music sounds good via MT-32 for these '4D' games IMO, I just stick to sound blaster.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 9, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stunts doesn't use digitized sound at all. Only Adlib for both music and FX. When running on MT-32, you should indeed hear everything sounding via the MT-32, including engine and skid and crash sounds.
The only thing I don't remember is whether Stunts programs the MT-32 at start up, or just use the stock instruments as-is. If it's the latter, don't expect the SC-88 to be able to handle it. There are other games that work with the base MT-32 instrument list (e.g. Monkey Island), and that will work fine on SC-88 as well.

Reply 3 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wbahnassi wrote on 2024-03-05, 11:00:

Stunts doesn't use digitized sound at all. Only Adlib for both music and FX.

I didn't realise that but you're right - Adlib and Sound Blaster are listed separately in the sound setup but they both sound exactly the same 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 9, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stunts doesn't use digitized sound at all. Only Adlib for both music and FX. When running on MT-32, you should indeed hear everything sounding via the MT-32, including engine and skid and crash sounds.
The only thing I don't remember is whether Stunts programs the MT-32 at start up, or just use the stock instruments as-is. If it's the latter, don't expect the SC-88 to be able to handle it. There are other games that work with the base MT-32 instrument list (e.g. Monkey Island), and that will work fine on SC-88 as well.

Would I basically hear the audio effects if I had a real mt-32? 😁

Reply 7 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only thing I don't remember is whether Stunts programs the MT-32 at start up, or just use the stock instruments as-is.

At least for the sound effects, Stunts does define custom sounds on the MT32 during start-up usinig SysEx messages, so any solutiion trying to map MT32 patch numbers to GM/GS patch number and then playing back those GM/GS patches will not work with Stunts.

Reply 8 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2024-03-06, 06:33:

At least for the sound effects, Stunts does define custom sounds on the MT32 during start-up usinig SysEx messages, so any solutiion trying to map MT32 patch numbers to GM/GS patch number and then playing back those GM/GS patches will not work with Stunts.

If I remember correctly, music plays fine but sound effects are replaced with nonsensical piano notes and such.

Reply 9 of 9, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2024-03-06, 07:40:
mkarcher wrote on 2024-03-06, 06:33:

If I remember correctly, music plays fine but sound effects are replaced with nonsensical piano notes and such.

Exactly, but in a very soft way