VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ead0601

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have DosBox 0.74-3 , and I also tried older versions, same problem.

Problem is that once I start the game , the cursor advances a line and the game hangs and does not proceed further. No display, no message, just the DOS prompt with the cursor advanced down one line.

I have the current RESOURCE.CFG :
videoDrv=EGA320.DRV
soundDrv=ADL.DRV
kbdDrv=IBMKBD.DRV
mouseDrv= YES
joyDrv=joystick.drv

and I verified that the corresponding .DRV files exists. I can run other dos games like Doom using DosBox. I have also tried alternate dosbox.conf parameters. Like trying different machine types, sound configurations, nothing works.

The install program works, once I select the corresponding settings, it creates the DOS directory c:\SIERRA\CB with the updated RESOURCE.CFG file, but, the game can never start, when I execute the CB script. I also tried SIERRA -o RESOURCE.CFG, which is what the script does, and same hang.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These old Sierra games are not very demanding of DOSBox and will definitely work with a vanilla DOSBox installation. You could remove your dosbox.conf file to ensure that DOSBox is running with its defaults.

But, given how difficult it is to mess up DOSBox to the point of not running Colonel's Bequest, especially given the very sensible and basic settings in your resource.cfg file, I think it's actually more likely that your game files have become corrupted some way. Make sure you get them from a known good source, such as GOG. Even if you got it from the original disks, these may just have deteriorated, though it's always worth just trying to copy them over again.

Last edited by Kippesoep on 2024-03-24, 00:51. Edited 1 time in total.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 3, by ead0601

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the feedback, after trying DosBox-X and having the same issue, I started to question the quality of the disk images. I pulled a different version from internet archive and it worked. It looks like it was the floppy images that I had.

Looks like it was the disk as Kippesoep suggested. Thanks.

Many Thanks.