VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello

there is a horrible tearing in the game Aladdin, this game seems to be out of sync or something like that
I tried to make it playlable in DOSbox, PCEM and 86xbox trying to use vsync and some other tricks, but I had no good results because there is always tearing
I suspect this game is failed from factory...I want to hear your opinion

anyways

is there a solution for this?

Reply 1 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aladdin has screen tearing even when played on real, period-correct retro hardware and a CRT monitor.

Maybe it's a bit less noticeable than on emulators, but the tearing is still there.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 6, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-27, 17:45:

Aladdin has screen tearing even when played on real, period-correct retro hardware and a CRT monitor.

Maybe it's a bit less noticeable than on emulators, but the tearing is still there.

Ah ok I imagined that on a real dos PC DOS machine also happens

btw,

what about the Aladdin windows version? a compilation of 3 games, Aladdin,lion king and jungle book

do you know if this version is a real windows version and if it have the same problem?

Reply 3 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Laser wrote on 2024-03-27, 18:22:

what about the Aladdin windows version? a compilation of 3 games, Aladdin,lion king and jungle book

do you know if this version is a real windows version and if it have the same problem?

I haven't played the Windows version of Aladdin. But maybe someone else can chime in on that.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As it seems that the DOS version is port of the Amiga version, itself a port of the Genesis/Mega Drive version, checking out these predecessors of the DOS version might be warranted.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Disney%27s_Aladdin

Reply 6 of 6, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-03-27, 20:26:

As it seems that the DOS version is port of the Amiga version, itself a port of the Genesis/Mega Drive version, checking out these predecessors of the DOS version might be warranted.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Disney%27s_Aladdin

yep what says there is somewhere correct but what is not true is that has a reduced palette

the Amiga version is the one with better sound and music but runs only at 25fps, the megadrive version is smooth it runs at 60 or 50 fps but the music and sfx is not so good
The PC version have the same tunes of the Amiga version but they don't sound that good as in the Amiga surely due ineffective sound conversion or so
The DOS version seems it runs at 30 fps but with horrible scroll and tearing

so none of them is perfect, yet I think that the DOS version could be fixed remove tearing to enhance overall sound and scroll