VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if this is a Dosbox issue, or a Tie Fighter issue... but here goes:

- I have two drives on my Dosbox setup; C, with tools, utilities etc, and D, with game installs and a folder of ISO images (the intent is to mirror my real Dos system which is set up the same way).
- I have my original Star Wars Tie Fighter - Collectors Edition (the big-box white cased version) ripped to an ISO file.
- The ISO is mounted within Dosbox using imgmount as E, using the iso flags, and is also intended to be mounted on my real Dos machine using shsucdhd.
- The installer runs from E: as expected, performing a 'maximum' install to D:\Starwars\TIECD. It creates C:\TIE.CD with the (correct) path to the install folder.

When I run TIE.EXE from either D:\Starwars\TIECD\TIE.EXE (the install folder) or from the virtual CD image (E:\TIE.EXE) results in the game prompting about VESA config, and then the following message:

"Loading TIE-Fighter CD. Please wait...."

It then exits to the C: prompt without any errors.

This is, of course, with the ISO still mounted as virtual cdrom drive E.

If I set the install location to be C:\TIECD (the default) everything works. If I use (for example) C:\SW-TIE, it also works. If I use D:\TIECD, it doesn't - regardless of what C:\TIE.CD says (which is always the correct path). This looks like a bug in the Tie Fighter exe which is always expecting to find the install data on C:, regardless of what you select in the installer.

Incidentally, the X-Wing Collectors Edition (again, the same big-box white version) is mounted and installed in the same way (ISO mapped to E, installed to D:\Starwars\Xwing) and loads/plays fine.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 3, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some notes for that release printed out; one thing that LucasArts support document says is that an incomplete installation or installation on multiple locations will give this effect that the game start will only open the installation menu.

What I then wrote from my own tests: if installing anywhere else than the C: drive, *move * the TIE.CD file from C:\ to the root of the actual installation drive,
otherwise the game will not start. (e.g. if it finds it on C:\ you get the reinstallation, because the rest of the already installed program is not there.)

Reply 2 of 3, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rwolf wrote on 2024-03-28, 13:15:

I have some notes for that release printed out; one thing that LucasArts support document says is that an incomplete installation or installation on multiple locations will give this effect that the game start will only open the installation menu.

What I then wrote from my own tests: if installing anywhere else than the C: drive, *move * the TIE.CD file from C:\ to the root of the actual installation drive,
otherwise the game will not start. (e.g. if it finds it on C:\ you get the reinstallation, because the rest of the already installed program is not there.)

Yep, that fixes it.

If installing to another drive, the TIE.CD file which the insaller drops in C:\ must be in the root of the drive that you installed to!

Clearly something is broken in the installer/runtime code which attempts to parse TIE.CD from the wrong location. Thank you for that pearl of wisdom! 😀

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net