VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LequaRex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I'm new here!

Let me just get right into my problem. So far I have used four versions of SeaTools.

I burn the iso to CD / write it to a floppy with the supplied installer.
I reboot my PC and select the CD drive/FDD to boot from first. SeaTools loaded it's graphical interface, but it won't detect my 2,5" Momentus 7200.3 80GB SATA drive, which is directly connected to my MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus. The drive is a ST980411AS. The drive is not dead. I can definitely write to it in Windows 10. The BIOS and SeaTools for Windows shows the drive, but says, it's not supported to adjust capacity.

I also tried it on my retro PC (a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5233MMX with currently no hard drive, so therefore no BIOS), but it won't even load the GUI. It stays at the "(SeaTools boot) C:" screen and I should reboot.

Attachments

• IMG_20240328_121032.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20240328_121032.jpg
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    After it booted and I accepted the agreement
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi,

You could try

EDIT: You will likely need to make sure that the disk controller is not set to AHCI or RAID for at least some DOS based tools to work. RAID mode will also be problematic under Linux, though AHCI should be fine

https://hddguru.com/software/2006.01.20-Hitac … e-Feature-Tool/

or

Hdat2

or

maybe hdparm under Linux (like in this example)

Re: Here's an idea: using high endurance (micro)SD cards meant for continuous video recording as storage for retro gear

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you want to change on drive ? Lower its reported capacity ?

In that case, you might try the Linux approach in the modern PC or the Hitachi Feature on your old one.

Be careful, though, as hdparm, AFAIK, can actually kill a drive or at least make it hard or impractical to recover if misused .

Reply 4 of 4, by LequaRex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: It couldn't detect the Seagate drive. Only my DVD drive

Yes, change the capacity, but is it really possible to use the Hitachi Feature on my old one? I mean it doesn't have a BIOS installed and therefore an 8 GB Limit, but I have an 80 GB drive.