VOGONS

w i n d o w s

Topic actions

First post, by lon3heart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!

First up, i dont really know if this Post 'belongs' to this catigory, because its not about stuff that runs on Windows, but instead it's about some Windows stuff. (Im already sorry for my bad english :3 ) I just think this catigory fits it the most🙃

Anyways, a while ago I made this (where to get the hardware?) topic where I asked about old Hardware and where one could find some of it. Like a week ago I discovered that an old XP computer that we still had, would work just fine for me. Naturally some things from this PC werent fully intact, like the HardDrive. (a 20 year old Seagate drive 😒 ). So I thought that I could just insert a new HardDrive, install Windows XP and eventually even 98.
But here comes the first thing i'll threat this Forum with:
Is there -any- site on the World Wide Web, were a man can find reliable Windows XP images in german? Seriously, I have like 5 different images of XP, and there all broken in one way or another. My favorite being the Image that is straigt up Missing DLL files👍. I also tried grabbing an English copy and just patch it to german, but it just does not work. For no real reason either, the program just said something like "i dont run here" and that was it.

On my search for a non-broken image I stumbled across REMOVED, wich has every Windows verson up until Windows 2000 (and I think also the service Packs) nicely archived. This means that i had no troulbes finding a working 98 Image, but because I reallllly dont know how well my System will handle a DOS based Windows version, I installed Windows 2000 for now.

Wich brings me to my next Topic, Multibooting. I have read through some Posts and Threats beforehand and Im a little bit confused. Can I just Format another Partition and install some other System on it and it'll be fine, or do I need to mess with Windows 2000s or XPs (or potentually Windows 98s) bootmanager? Can I somehow stop the Installs from reading each others Partitions, since I have read that Windows 2000 likes to collaps with Windows XP a bit when installed on the same HardDrive. Do I need a seperate Bootmanager? Can I really "only" have 4 Partitions on MBR HardDrives? (I got a feeling that this Post is all over the place😵)

To sum it up, I have one final question: Is it possible to Install 2 seperate Video Cards?
A friend of mine recently found an 'old' graphics Card he didn't need anymore. I say 'old', cause its an nVidia GTX 275😅. But if i get to install Windows XP someday, I'd realllly like to test this Card out. I would test it out under Windows 2000, but there aren't any Drivers for this Card and I reaaaaaaaaaly haven't enough knowlege to try out Windows XP drivers without worries. But I thought of the possibility of installing both Cards, the older current card for Windows 2000 and older and the gtx for Windows XP and others. In theory this should work by simply disableing the old Card in XP, and the new Card in 2000. I just cant find any information if such a thing can be done, all the information i do find talks about 2 Identical Cards being connected with SLI.

I hope somebody can Help with this messy Post and I also hope that this isn't to out of Topic.

Thanks!

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-05-05, 15:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can add another primary partition and install another operating system there.
However, you have to extract it's boot sector then, save as file on the windows 2000 boot partition, and to include it in boot.ini - you have a boot menu then.

For operating systems like DOS the new partition has to be inside the first 8 GB.
For operating systems like Win9x on FAT32, I recommend to have them starting at cylinder <= 1022 (~ 8 GB).

Reply 2 of 5, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lon3heart wrote on 2023-05-05, 15:16:

Wich brings me to my next Topic, Multibooting. I have read through some Posts and Threats beforehand and Im a little bit confused. Can I just Format another Partition and install some other System on it and it'll be fine, or do I need to mess with Windows 2000s or XPs (or potentually Windows 98s) bootmanager? Can I somehow stop the Installs from reading each others Partitions, since I have read that Windows 2000 likes to collaps with Windows XP a bit when installed on the same HardDrive. Do I need a seperate Bootmanager? Can I really "only" have 4 Partitions on MBR HardDrives? (I got a feeling that this Post is all over the place😵)

You can only have 4 primary partitions. Some OSes will only boot from a primary partition.

A primary partition can, instead of having a filesystem, be an "extended" partition, which is a container for more partitions, which are called "logical" partitions.

Older OSes like DOS get upset if there is more than one primary partition which isn't an extended partition, but a way around that is to have a boot loader which hides and unhides partitions so that only one of the non-extended primary partitions is visible at a time. "Hiding" just means changing the partition type number. This hiding might be useful to you for keeping the installs from seeing each other's partitions. If you do this, you might want to make a logical partition for things you want to be visible to all your installs.

I recently watched a YouTube video where someone demonstrated using xfdisk to set up a boot loader with partition hiding. It was all done with menus, it seemed pretty easy. I don't know if it works with Windows 2000 and XP.

To sum it up, I have one final question: Is it possible to Install 2 seperate Video Cards?
A friend of mine recently found an 'old' graphics Card he didn't need anymore. I say 'old', cause its an nVidia GTX 275😅. But if i get to install Windows XP someday, I'd realllly like to test this Card out. I would test it out under Windows 2000, but there aren't any Drivers for this Card and I reaaaaaaaaaly haven't enough knowlege to try out Windows XP drivers without worries. But I thought of the possibility of installing both Cards, the older current card for Windows 2000 and older and the gtx for Windows XP and others. In theory this should work by simply disableing the old Card in XP, and the new Card in 2000. I just cant find any information if such a thing can be done, all the information i do find talks about 2 Identical Cards being connected with SLI.

Interesting question! What you suggest seems reasonable to me, but I don't know for sure, hopefully someone more knowledgeable replies. One thing to keep in mind is that your BIOS (and hence probably your boot loader) will always use the same card. You might be able to select which card that is in the BIOS, but maybe not.

Reply 3 of 5, by lon3heart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-05-05, 15:32:

For operating systems like DOS the new partition has to be inside the first 8 GB.
For operating systems like Win9x on FAT32, I recommend to have them starting at cylinder <= 1022 (~ 8 GB).

I created a ~60 Gb FAT32 partition at the start of the Harddrive using gParted (for use with win98 of course), but that didnt seem to work.
Firstup, ScanDisk wasnt happy about the Partition, giving me a Screenfilling error. But Second, and more important, windows would not start from that Partition. Once the CD-installationphase endet and I restarted, it simply said something like 'this bootmedia is not bootable, replace the disk and press any key'. I really dont know what triggered this 😒

doshea wrote on 2023-05-06, 09:11:

You can only have 4 primary partitions. Some OSes will only boot from a primary partition.

Thanks for the Info :>

I recently watched a YouTube video where someone demonstrated using xfdisk to set up a boot loader with partition hiding. It was all done with menus, it seemed pretty easy. I don't know if it works with Windows 2000 and XP.

Again thanks for the Info, xFdisk is actually a pretty nice Tool and does Work with Windows 2000.
Sadly my original win2000 HardDrive broke like a Week after I put up this Topic and until now, I could only test in VMware. But, at least there, it had no problems Hiding partitions from each other and I could successfully install win2000 alongside winXP (sadly win98 doesnt work anymore in VMware 😒 )
About the only thing you shouldnt do with xFdisk is Format stuff, gParted (or even the build in win10 format-tool) works faaaar better.

Interesting question! What you suggest seems reasonable to me, but I don't know for sure, hopefully someone more knowledgeable replies. One thing to keep in mind is that your BIOS (and hence probably your boot loader) will always use the same card. You might be able to select which card that is in the BIOS, but maybe not.

I have actually still not found anything about the 2 video cards😅, but I am also not really sure if I want to use the GTX. For now it seems good enough to keep the nx6600gt and turning down the RES if neccessary.
But im still interested🙃

And to ask one new question, does anybody know if there where any Intel P35/ICH9 Chipset Drivers for anything older than win2000?
Because I found nothin on my search, but I would be interested (mainly for win98🙃🙃)

Reply 4 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lon3heart wrote on 2023-07-13, 18:27:

And to ask one new question, does anybody know if there where any Intel P35/ICH9 Chipset Drivers for anything older than win2000?
Because I found nothin on my search, but I would be interested (mainly for win98🙃🙃)

Maybe the thread title was written with spaces between letters, did you try that?
(sorry I couldn't resist -but seriously I don't know the answer to your question)

Reply 5 of 5, by lon3heart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-07-13, 20:02:

Maybe the thread title was written with spaces between letters, did you try that?

i simply didnt know how to call it, but yea your right the title isnt good🙃