VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Around 15 years ago, Internet facilities and Steam facilities was limited for the people because of high fees and lack of international transaction features respectively. People had to download game from Google searches.

When I got my first computer, CS1.6 was such a game that was pre-installed on my machine: my uncle introduced me to it. That game was a repack release from DiGiTALZONE team (files installed were dated back to 2005). In 2016, I got to know what Steam is, but then I was not playing CS anymore. Later I shifted to CS:GO on Steam in 2017.

Yesterday I decided to get back to CS1.6, the same DiGiTALZONE release, and the game was working very badly. It would freeze every now and then, and had crashed after a bomb detonation. I then decided to try the WaRzOnE repack release, it didn't crash mid-match (2011 build) but still had problems in changing display modes (same in 2005 build). The nosTEAM release crashes even before it starts (2018 build).

Considering that the game sells at less than $1 now in sales, I don't mind buying it after playing it for half of my gaming journey. However I would be more benefited to know if the game is stable enough on modern systems? Are there any things I should test out to see the game work better?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

of course it's stable. It had a major update late last year. For modern systems, flogging old warez repacks is irrelevant - unless you really want to play against cheaters and get hacked.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should be fine, just pay the 1$ on Steam and give it a try. PCGamingWiki is always the go to place for resolving any issues you encounter.

DiGiTALZONE took me waaaaaaaay back. I think that's how I first played (a terribly buggy version of) Half-Life 2. I got to the elevator at Eli's lab and all NPCs just froze and the game was not progressing. Good times!

Reply 3 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:40:

of course it's stable. It had a major update late last year. For modern systems, flogging old warez repacks is irrelevant - unless you really want to play against cheaters and get hacked.

Okay thats what I needed to know

Garrett W wrote on 2024-04-26, 08:36:

DiGiTALZONE took me waaaaaaaay back. I think that's how I first played (a terribly buggy version of) Half-Life 2. I got to the elevator at Eli's lab and all NPCs just froze and the game was not progressing. Good times!

Probably they were the one (or one of them) who brought in the CZ Deleted Scenes menu theme by Zak Belica to 1.6. Old videos claiming CS1.6 menu song still exist

Reply 4 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For one last chance I went to the nosTEAM repack. Turns out the game fails because it was allergic to 4GB of VRAM 🫡. Considering it's a 2018 build, it was weird

The other game has some other issues that I didn't find yet.

Reply 5 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:40:

Coming back here, probably you may know more about it than me:

I analysed the freezes. The loading freeze happens with DirectSoundCreate seeing a waveIn device outside range?

The mid-game freeze happens when a message "no masters loaded. Using default master"

Do you have any idea about what the latter could mean?

(I am quite happy with the new CS builds, I am just curious what this old build does. Interestingly it is prevalent in my retail CZ too)