VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To put it plain and simple, I would like to know how to install Windows 95 or 98 in dosbox. I apologize in advance if this question is asked before, but the search in these forums are utterly useless, I type in "win95 install" and I get topics that have no relation whatsoever.

Do NOT say you can't do it, because I'm 100% sure you can. First of all, the PSP modified version of win95 works fine in dosbox. I would use that but you can't add drives to it, so I'm stuck with no internet, no drives, no nothing. It runs great but whats the point of having an OS that can't even install anything? I downloaded a plain win95 installer (I don't see why MS would care) and when I try to run it, it attempts to do a computer check but it doesn't do anything at all. I'm guessing the only way to make it work is by having a win95 already installed and just copied to wherever you want dosbox to access. I'm running Linux so I can't do that, so does anybody know how to get it to work?

I do know someone on these forums was capable of installing win98, and I would prefer to install that. Is there anything I should know about that (other than its most likely slow)?

Thanks in advance

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Type win95 + install.

We do not support Windows 9x in DOSBox so sometimes we move the threads to private forums.

The most stable version of Windows 95 in DOSBox is Windows 95B. Unless you modify the DOSBox source and fix the issues with 95C+ then they do not work in the official CVS.

DOSBox does not emulate a network card so there will be no internet support in DOSBox unless you add it yourself.
DOSBox does not support shared folders so there will be no shared folder support in DOSBox unless you add it yourself.

Downloading Windows 95 is illegal since it's under copyright and yes MS DOES care and so do we so take your Abandonware antics elsewhere.

To install Windows 95 in DOSBox you MUST use a hard drive image. You cannot use Windows 95 with normal DOSBox and your host file system.

If you want to run Windows 9x then try Qemu and Vmware Workstation. They run Windows 9x just fine. DOSBox is NOT the solution.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"win95 + install" didn't work, unless thats supposed to be for the .img version. I knew DB didn't support network cards or shared folders, but I just found it surprising that the win95 i did try out didn't even attempt to use the other mounted drives I had. Apparently on PSP people can install things fine, I'm not sure what thats about.

BTW, you somewhat contradicted yourself. I'm not sure if win95 is abandonware or not, but the reason software becomes abandonware is because they had a copywrite and the authors no longer care if it is distributed, therefore it is legal to download. Judging by the context of your statement, you implied that win95 is abondware, so you saying its illegal is hypocritical. And getting win95 to work on DB is a great way to advance development, which some people (such as the people who developed the PSP win9x) have really shown what DB is capable of, and many others have found it to be of a great use. I think development of this for computer versions will make DB significantly more popular. Its one thing to be able to play your old DOS games but another to be able to play your old Windows games that 2000, XP, and Vista don't support. Sure you could use Qemu or VMware but who wants to pay or download something that large?
As a fun fact, Microsoft said that they would rather let people pirate their OSes than use Linux. I am a Linux user, so they're giving me the obligation to pirate win95.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

2 things:

1) As DosFreak noted, Win95 compatibility is not something that DOSBox is targeting right now. It is an interesting excersize, and it might even some day become a target for DOSBox, but right now the focus is still on 100% DOS-game compatibility.

Personally, I don't see a problem with (politely) requesting help in getting Win95 to work. Just don't be disappointed if some people choose to ignore the request because they think it is off-topic.

2) Experience shows that many weird problems with DOSBox can be tracked down to weird, incomplete and buggy distributions of the software people attempt to run in DOSBox. That is why many people here will only take an interest in the problem if it can be repeated with official copies of the software.

Add to that, that we all should respect the request by the owner of the site to stay far, far away from software whose legality is in question, is reason enough to not even attempt to diagnose a problem involving some illegal copy of Windows.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're simply wanting to run Windows apps on Linux, have you thought about trying Wine instead?
http://www.winehq.com
It doesn't run everything, but it runs enough to make it worth a try.
For those apps that don't, I've found looking through the App database useful in seeing if certain versions work better (for some people). And in more than a few cases I've found the tips and comments quite useful.

Reply 5 of 8, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

basically everything wine doesn't run is not a 32 or 64 bit application. i don't want to install windows xp, 2000, or vista, i want 95 or 98 because the programs are old enough to not cooperate with wine

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 7 of 8, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well my point is, many programs that came out for windows 95 and 98 don't work well for wine. yes many do but not all. for example, the original GTA doesn't work. i don't feel like buying vmware, virtualbox is more to work with than i'd prefer (on linux, on windows its effortless), and qemulator is the slowest VM i've ever tried. i'd like an all in 1 emulator which is why i wanted to know how to install windows 95 or 98 on dosbox

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vmware Workstation 6.5 is your best option for the easiest and most compatible way to play Windows games in Linux.

For 9x in Vmware you won't have 3D acceleration but in 2000+ you will.

Don't bother with 9x in DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline