VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by beach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Vogons,

I am trying to get Omikron: The Nomad Soul playable on my PC. Everything works just fine (except for some tolerable sound stuttering), except for the "down" and "right" arrows in the menu. Since hitting "up" doesn't cause the inventory menu to return to the bottom once it is at the top (where it starts off at when the inventory is accessed), this makes completing the game impossible. Also, when I hold the key for first person view, the game forces me to look to the upper right corner as if it was a stuck joystick. And when I try to save, the game switches between the "save" button and the "enter name of savefile" field at a crazy rate and I can't save!!

Walking controls work fine. Also, changing the key bindings has absolutely no effect. I tried rolling back video driver to the more-compatible nVidia 94.24, and that didn't work.

I got the game working by applying a no-CD crack and then hitting enter a bunch of times as the game starts up (following a tip from the internet). However, the 94.24 drivers make it unnecessary to hit "enter" a bunch of times.

Someone please help, this is one of the best games and just up my alley. HELP! >=O

My System:

2x Nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB
evga nForce 680i LT
Windows XP 32 SP3
2GB good RAM @ 667MHz (DDR2)
PLAYING IN DIRECT3D
NO EMULATION
ONBOARD SOUND
Pentium Condor or whatever 2.67GHz Dual Core
problem is always there
i read the readme

TY =D

Oh, and also, I disabled antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, triple buffering, vertical sync, and SLI. Disabling SLI and antialiasing fixed all graphics glitches.

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
beach wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's US layout. How do I check/change it?

You don't need to. Only someone with an US keyboard would ask that question. QED.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehehe... That post made my day. Thanks, MiniMax! (;

I got the game working by applying a no-CD crack and then hitting enter a bunch of times as the game starts up

Why would you need a patch when you have the original CD? I don't know the game, but the effects you're describing sound very odd. Maybe the patch is faulty, or causes the game to behave strangely? Did you try running the game in compatibility mode?

Reply 5 of 7, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

Why would you need a patch when you have the original CD?

Maybe to skip the CD verification, that sometimes doesn't work even with the original CD?

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another probably silly question: do you have any kind of joystick plugged into your computer? If you have a physical joystick port, maybe you can try disabling it in Device Manager.

Reply 7 of 7, by beach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG, you're right! I had some retarded joystick emulator installed to get another incompatible game working. Now it works perfect!!! =D =D =D

BTW, also Lands of Lore 3 (in addition to this game) require Nvidia driver version 94.24 to run (newer messes it up). (Actually Omikron will run but will crash if any videos are allowed to play). That driver is very compatible.