VOGONS

Windows 98 CD useless?

Topic actions

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a "Windows 98 Second Edition for PCs Without Windows" CD today for $0.99... only to realize when I got home that the product key was missing! Is it useless, or is there some way to get a legitimate product key?

Reply 1 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well it's "useless". 😀 You actually need a certificate of authenticity with the key on it.

Really though, Win2k and older don't have any sort of online key validation so IMO just find yourself one and use it without worrying. I have one memorized believe it or not! It kinda haunts me. I've used it so many times that it's engraved somewhere in my cranium and the librarian up there pulls it up when I need it (hehe).

Reply 2 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have trouble with Windows Update, which is bad because Win9x will get infected with all sorts of crap if you plug it into the Internet and don't get it fully patched ASAP.

Reply 4 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

You may have trouble with Windows Update, which is bad because Win9x will get infected with all sorts of crap if you plug it into the Internet and don't get it fully patched ASAP.

Windows Update for 9x probably doesn't even work anymore. I haven't tried it in years. What you want is the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a". 😀
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

I wouldn't worry too much about it imploding with viruses or something on the modern web. I haven't had any problems. I always run it behind a router though. IE6 might be risky, but you can run the latest Opera just fine on Win98SE.

DosFreak wrote:

Which is why you should use the Unattended Boot Cd and Autopatcher!
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum … ilter=all&st=25

Hmmm. I might have to check this out !!

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-08-11, 21:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a generic product key somewheres that I use for all of my Win98 installations, though I don't know if it would be against the forum rules to post it...

Reply 6 of 12, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Windows 98 key is on the manual that came with a PC I bought many years ago.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 7 of 12, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

I've just recently installed Win98se on a P-II breadboarded rig, using an Intel SE440BX. I have the 2004 all-Windows Security Rollup CD that I run almost all installs through before taking a new install out into the Never-Never land of the 'Net. Microsoft's Windows Updates still works, if you use IE 5.5 or 6.0. Of course, I had already installed both SpyBot S&D and Spyware Blaster, as well as Avast!

I don't know any more exactly which number goes with which Win98 version, but an OEM expects a number within certain ranges, as does the Upgrade. The Full Install has its own range it expects numbers from. I have a text file with my three Win95 numbers, four Win98 numbers (only one the pre-SE), four W2K, six WinXP, Win7 Beta, Office 2000, etc.

If I've dione recent installs, I remember which numbers the discs will want, but that sort of thing doesn't remain in memory long, so sometimes I must try a couple before i hit the right one.

Kiwi

Reply 10 of 12, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's possible to hack a Windows 98 setup file so you don't need a key.
Search for windows 98 exescope setupx.dll

Reply 11 of 12, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the suggestions and info, guys. Hoping to get it working later this year.