Common searches

Can someone help me?

Topic actions

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have here a Socket 370/Slot 1 combo motherboard that I can't identify.Can you help me?
[/img]
Sorry for the quality of picture.
The motherboard uses AMI BIOS instead of Award BIOS.

Attachments

• Filename
    sis630.PNG
    File size
    405.28 KiB
    Downloads
    80 downloads
    File comment
    The board i said about.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 26, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be a lot easier to help if you had a good photo, this one is so dark, blurry and distorted that it is impossible to see any details.

Reply 2 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you provide us with a better picture?
Is there anything printed on the pcb like a part number? Does it have any stickers with numbers and such on them?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sadly can't as I don't have any photo camera,just my webcam.
The motherboard hasn't got any marks other than a revision number,v1.21.
Also,other than the SiS 630 mark there it says on the chipset:
(C)(R)SIS '99
BKA0395Z
0010EX A1.
The board itself supports Slot 1 processors and even Tualatin Socket 370 processors.All I've got around for this motherboard were a 600MHz Coppermine and a (maybe?)Tualatin at 1.2GHz.

Attachments

• Filename
    sis630mb.PNG
    File size
    848.35 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File comment
    The best quality I can get.
    File license

Reply 4 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:
I sadly can't as I don't have any photo camera,just my webcam. The motherboard hasn't got any marks other than a revision number […]
Show full quote

I sadly can't as I don't have any photo camera,just my webcam.
The motherboard hasn't got any marks other than a revision number,v1.21.
Also,other than the SiS 630 mark there it says on the chipset:
(C)(R)SIS '99
BKA0395Z
0010EX A1.
The board itself supports Slot 1 processors and even Tualatin Socket 370 processors.All I've got around for this motherboard were a 600MHz Coppermine and a (maybe?)Tualatin at 1.2GHz.

Isn't there anything written on the sticker that's on the slot? I find it hard to believe that theres absolutely nothing written on the pcb somewhere. All pcb's have at least a date code on them.
I'll try and see if I can find a matching motherboard somewhere though.

Also, are there any bulging caps on the board?

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I found the board, or at least what looks like it (theres several that look veeery similar)
Go to this page http://comresurs.ru/c_c.php?ib=29&show_pic=1 and do a search for M/B ELPINA M756-T SLOT1/SOCKET370
Edit:It's about 1/3rd way down 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No,there aren't.I'm looking to recap it back as took from someone that works at a PC company and there they disassemble old boards.I have to recap half of the board to have it working,and also solder a coil next to the CPU,which is missing.

Reply 7 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright,got the model number.Now,if you have that board,can you tell me the voltages and uF of the caps from the picture.

Attachments

• help.PNG
    Filename
    help.PNG
    File size
    502.7 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The caps I need voltages
    File license

Reply 8 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Alright,got the model number.Now,if you have that board,can you tell me the voltages and uF of the caps from the picture.

I don't have that board, so I can't tell you what voltages and uF those caps should have.

Btw, what was the model number?

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also,until I get the voltages and uF I'll concentrate on another board which has all the caps installed,a ACORP 6BX/VIA/ZX81.
I equipped it right now with:
ATI Rage IIC video card
Realtek 8139A video card
ASUS CD-ROM
350w Codegen PSU.
What parts are missing are the Pentium II slot processor (the board is a Slot 1 one)and a harddrive.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 11 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:
Also,until I get the voltages and uF I'll concentrate on another board which has all the caps installed,a ACORP 6BX/VIA/ZX81. I […]
Show full quote

Also,until I get the voltages and uF I'll concentrate on another board which has all the caps installed,a ACORP 6BX/VIA/ZX81.
I equipped it right now with:
ATI Rage IIC video card
Realtek 8139A video card
ASUS CD-ROM
350w Codegen PSU.
What parts are missing are the Pentium II slot processor (the board is a Slot 1 one)and a harddrive.

I wouldn't want to use that PSU though, Codegen is bottom of the barrel when quality is concerned. I have 1 or 2 Codegen PSU's and I don't even bother to use them as test-PSU's as I don't want them ruining any of my other hardware.
Just last week my neighbour had her Pentium 4 motherboard destroyed because of a low quality PSU. The PSU went defective (had a bulging cap inside it) and it took the LGA775 Conroe-capable motherboard with it.

I'll assume with Realtek 8139A video card you meant it to be a NIC, right?

Also, could a mod please move this thread to miliways or Marvin? It doesn't belong in the Windows section.

PcBytes wrote:

PCChips M756 actually.All Elpina boards in fact are PCChips boards.

When I read Elpina, I already suspected as much. It usually means trouble 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well.all the times I used it worked flawlessly,so there isn't any problem using it,and even more for a Pentium II.I have a Delux (Romanian company,I'm from Romania btw)which consumes so much that I replaced it with this Codegen one.

Reply 13 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Well.all the times I used it worked flawlessly,so there isn't any problem using it,and even more for a Pentium II.I have a Delux (Romanian company,I'm from Romania btw)which consumes so much that I replaced it with this Codegen one.

If they work fine, then it's all good. It's when they die that such PSU's tend to take other hardware components with them to the eternal huntingfields 😢
The fact that it's brand new is a good thing.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah,the Delux one is on a PCChips M577 mobo along with a K6-2 400AHX.
I'm so excited to repair my PII board.Also I've got a original SB16 value soundcard for it.Not sure about the processor,but might get a PII-400,and if the board supports,i'll fire up 384MB of PC133 memory and Windows XP SP2.

Reply 15 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Yeah,the Delux one is on a PCChips M577 mobo along with a K6-2 400AHX.
I'm so excited to repair my PII board.Also I've got a original SB16 value soundcard for it.Not sure about the processor,but might get a PII-400,and if the board supports,i'll fire up 384MB of PC133 memory and Windows XP SP2.

If it's a BX, then it'll support 256MB Double sides RAM modules 😉
If you're going to use XP on it, then I'd recommend to get as fast a processor for your board as possible, preferably a Pentium 3 (Katmai or a Coppermine if your board supports it).

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VIA133 chipset actually,but what's weird is that the PCChips m577,despite being AGPPro PC100 it takes single-sided PC133 RAM.
After getting my PII-400 (I've ran one before with a XP and was happy of results)I'll test all the 3 sticks of RAM to see if it recognizes the 384MB RAM.
I have some Windows disks laying around,a XP SP3 Black,a Windows 2000 custom (made to run on any PC,even a 486!!)and a HP OEM Windows XP which I have to get around and remove the Plus! disk check.

Reply 17 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

VIA133 chipset actually,but what's weird is that the PCChips m577,despite being AGPPro PC100 it takes single-sided PC133 RAM.
After getting my PII-400 (I've ran one before with a XP and was happy of results)I'll test all the 3 sticks of RAM to see if it recognizes the 384MB RAM.
I have some Windows disks laying around,a XP SP3 Black,a Windows 2000 custom (made to run on any PC,even a 486!!)and a HP OEM Windows XP which I have to get around and remove the Plus! disk check.

Did you use nlite to create your custom win2k install disk? 😁
Or did you use some other way?

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah,nLite 😁
Used it on a AMD K5-PR100 PC which had 48MB of RAM.I had to wait a good 5-10 minutes to load even Internet Explorer 🤣
Also,are a ATI Rage IIC video card and an AMD K6-2 400AHX processor rare?

Reply 19 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Yeah,nLite 😁
Used it on a AMD K5-PR100 PC which had 48MB of RAM.I had to wait a good 5-10 minutes to load even Internet Explorer 🤣
Also,are a ATI Rage IIC video card and an AMD K6-2 400AHX processor rare?

The graphics card I don't know (probably not though), but K6-2's aren't rare at all. It's K6-III (non-plus) that's hard to find. The K6-2+ and K6-III+ are still available on ebay for cheap last time I remembered.
The K6-2/400AHX CPU you have is one that requires a higher 2.4v instead of the more common 2.2v, which makes it run hotter (it's basically a factory overclocked CPU).

Now, what is concidered "rare" depends on a lot of things:One is obviously how many were made in total (and how many of them are dead by now), but the main thing that determines how hard it is to get a certain part is of course demand and supply. Older computer equipment that's older then 10 years or so starts getting harder to find. Sometimes something isn't hard to find, but are offered for high amounts (sometimes insane amounts) of money, often with no-one buying it. I was on the lookout for some 2.88MB floppy drives and someone had a LARGE stock of SCSI ones, but wouldn't let them go even for about €15 each or so (his asking price was $99 or 199$ each or so).
So even though hardly anyone had any 2.88MB SCSI floppies in their collection, there was one large unreleased stock of them on ebay.

But what is rare and what is not, deserves a whole topic of it's own 🤣! I'm pretty sure someone with better English skill can explain it better then I can 😜

Report spammers here!