VOGONS

Common searches

Gabriel Knight

Topic actions

First post, by Monkeybrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any way to get the DOS version of Gabriel Knight 1 to work with VDMS under Windows XP?
It always crashes after the Sierra screen.

Reply 1 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, Gabriel Knight 1 has not been successfully run on Windows XP. You'll have to wait until FreeSCI or similar has support for all SCI modes. (Don't worry, it's only a few more years! heh)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 38, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recommend we try to corral some SCI experts to assist with that particular project. It sounds like a good project to pursue, Nicht.
(I mean this thread: showthread.php?threadid=83)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 38, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC GK1 was not made by Sierra (i.e. was made by a company that was bough by Sierra before or during GK1's development). So chances are GK1 may not be based on SCI. Then again, I may be wrong (but hey, my post count just got up by one, I'm getting there!!)

V.

Reply 6 of 38, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.gamespot.com/features/gabriel_dd/060498/

Looks like it was SCI32. Good luck guys with the Windows interpreter, as FreeSCI won't do SCI32 yet...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 38, by Monkeybrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got the Windows version, but for some reason when I try to save my game it crashes to Windows.
The DOS version will run if you select no soundcard for audio in the install program, but I really want speech and sound effects.

Reply 10 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have the update patches out there been applied? Sierra has the CD patch at:
http://www.sierra.com/support/technical/updates/content.html
The floppy update is not there, try:
http://www.gamesdomain.com/patches/gkpat10b.html

The CD update even includes a "Gabriel Knight Troubleshooting Guide".

Reply 12 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Monkeybrains wrote:

Yes, it was patched ...it didn't help.

Unfortunate. From what I've seen, there's a mix of working/not working reports out there (NT Compatible). There may be no easy fix here as it doesn't appear to be consistently broken on new PC's/OS's.

Reply 14 of 38, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Sample problem here crashing when hitting save button. Kinda weird i remember it working with my celeron in win2k, but now with my athlon XP it doesn't. Probably cpu speed related.

Kind of sux, such a great game.

Reply 15 of 38, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You went from a P3 cored to a Athlon. BIG difference there as far as older games are concerned. A windows game I have wouldn't run on my Athlon but worked on my Dual P3. Tried it on another Intel rig and it worked. On another Athlon it was a no go.

In the future processor emulation will be a MUST for those older products that were so dependent upon the specific workings of teh processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No luck with the Windows version. "Cannot find Windows title" error, a brief black box (the interpreter window), and then the program shuts down. (No error.) Could this be a problem with Video for Windows or something?

The DOS version performs similarily.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 38, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

You went from a P3 cored to a Athlon. BIG difference there as far as older games are concerned.

I had forgotten about this... We may even start seeing problems that were deliberately put there. IE: Magic Carpet 2 recognized my Intel chip and played it's intro movie, same game on an AMD: nothing.

Same thing happened on a Fischer-Price chess game.

Only saw this for video playback. Maybe Intel coded the "video codec".

Reply 18 of 38, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Snover wrote:

No luck with the Windows version. "Cannot find Windows title" error, a brief black box (the interpreter window), and then the program shuts down. (No error.) Could this be a problem with Video for Windows or something?

That's a problem with not supplying the sierraw.exe a command line with the full path to where it can find the resource.win.

C:\SIERRA\GKCD\SIERRAW.EXE C:\SIERRA\GKCD\resource.win

That's how my shortcut starts up the game after installing.

Reply 19 of 38, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. This seems to me like a problem with file access, since clicking on "Change Directory" causes a crash. I could be wrong, but it's logical, right? RIGHT?

Anyway, I'm moving this to The Guide > Windows.

Yes, it’s my fault.