VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the GOG.com version. It acts as if the joystick is not plugged in at all. Relevant info:
Thrustmaster T.16000M
Windows XP sees the joystick in Control Panel->Game Controllers and it's fully functional and calibrate-able.
The joystick works fine in the other Wing Commanders--both the older WCs in DOSBox and the newer Wing Commander (Prophecy).

So if I start a new game of WC4, I skip past the cutscenes, get to the initial flight scene where Maniac challenges you, and enter the Options screen (Alt-O). I select Joystick, click Save and exit--no joystick. Go back into Options and Joystick is de-selected. Click the Calibrate button and nothing happens (it does not go to a calibrate screen). I also tried the keyboard shortcuts CTRL-J (enable joystick) and ALT-C (calibrate joystick). Neither work.

Does anyone have WC4 and the T16000M and can check for me if it works? I don't know if my OS is relevant (WinXP), but if you happen to have XP, a T16000M and the GOG version of WC4, I'd appreciate if you can let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for reading.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay this is weird. I actually bought a T.16000M last year and Wing Commander 4 was the first game I played through. It was the GOG version and it was under Windows 8.1. I seem to remember some sort of issue like the one you're describing, have you tried looking at the GOG forums for similar problems?

Reply 3 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:

Ha! That was it. Thanks, teleguy and F2bnp.

Reply 4 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, was searching the GOG forums and someone suggested doing that. Was about to post here, but teleguy beat me to the punch 😁.

Have fun playing the greatest Wing Commander game, I had an absolute blast playing it and the T.16000M is a fantastic joystick to be using!

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking forward to it! I have to get through WC3 first, though. Finished WC1 about a month ago and just beat WC2 yesterday.

Reply 6 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have the T.16000, great stick 😀

Did you try the secret missions? I found them too hard and gave up after a while 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I also have the T.16000, great stick 😀

Did you try the secret missions? I found them too hard and gave up after a while 😒

The T16000 is on my XP machine, so I haven't used it so far on the WC's (when I finish WC3, I'll have to use it for WC4 and Prophecy). I'm using an old-fashioned Mach I from CH Products. 🤣 I actually really like it as it fits easily in my hands...no need to have a flat spot to put it on.

I did try the secret missions. You are right, they are very hard. And I was so relieved to beat the main game that I wasn't motivated to try to beat the new missions. I wanted to move on to the next era of gaming tech. 😉