VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There doesn't seem to be any specific trigger, but I can not finish the first level. Some time during the first mission, usually before I can finish building my first refinery, the game will freeze up and the last half-second of audio will loop a couple of times. Then I get dumped back to my desktop with a "this program has stopped responding" error. I have both Firestorm and the 2.03 patch installed. Using compatibility mode for both sun.exe and game.exe didn't do anything.

The demo also crashes in this way.

Reply 1 of 6, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

o_O_o_O

ya know that there is a winXP copatible version of this game included in CnC The First Decade?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have TS working fine in XP. I don't have Firestorm though. My friends and I even tried some multi but the net code is really horrible with this game and it started to really chug when anything was happening. It runs like wildfire in single player though.

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK, the First Decade versions are exactly the same as previous versions (except of course the issues experienced in the First Decade box because they messed things ups).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by Gamer4life

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't emulate it. There is no need. I have played it on XP, XP pro, and XP pro 64 bit. It will run faster, hope this helps. Emulation actually slows a game down substantially. If ther is no need to emulate, run it native.

Reply 5 of 6, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

original Red Alert 2 has random crashes on winXP... TFD Red Alert 2 runs fine. this is my point in that the TFD is better compatability with winXP... i am also aware of the extra bugs in it but hopefully they will be fixed.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 6 of 6, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nearly a year later, I have found the solution.

I run a program called FRAPS. Through trial-and-error, I've isolated the problem to FRAPS. If I close FRAPS, the crashing stops.