kings quest VI

Topic actions

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey

So I was firing up Kings Quest 6 in windows 98 and realised it was not stable in 800x600 without a patch from sierrahelp.com.After installing it the game no longer crashed after running the welcome screen, splendid! Less splendit was the fact that the background is totally black. This, I fixed by running windows 98 in 256 colours which is ok but not optimal. So I was wondering if there is a way to get the game to run with 256 colours but if I quit it, Windows returns to 16bit? Maybe by an other patch or batchfile-hack?

the game file is the one from REMOVED project. (I have the CD version somewhere at my parents house but cause of covid (and that this is a new found interest of mine) it is not reachable atm.)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-09-16, 03:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forget if it's in Win98, but if you right-click the executable and select properties. On the compatibility tab is there an option to set 256 colors? This exists as far back as at least XP.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-04-17, 19:52:

So I was wondering if there is a way to get the game to run with 256 colours but if I quit it, Windows returns to 16bit? Maybe by an other patch or batchfile-hack?

I'm pretty sure Powerstrip can do that, but there are probably alternatives.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/powerstrip.html