VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jumjalum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to enable hardware acceleration in M&M7? The official tech support didnt help much and I couldnt find a solution on any other forums. It just wont run unless all hardware (video and sound) is disabled but then it looks terrible. Its strange that it was made for DirectX 4 or 5 but it wont run with 8. Maybe Windows XP is the problem...

Reply 1 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In Windows 2000, use QFixApp --> IgnoreException.dll + Win95VersionLie

(You can use the Application Compatibility Toolkit with Windows XP)

See also: http://www.ntcompatible.com/compdet.php?id=9586

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 13, by Jumjalum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the toolkit but unfortunately it doesnt work, it seems its a bit different on my system as I cant even get to the menu, it just flashes black then grey then desktop when I load it.

Reply 5 of 13, by Jumjalum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works in XP too? Ok, I'll download that and give it a shot.

Oh I see its part of the toolkit, well I tried it too and the two switches you mentioned were checked already among others but no luck its still the same.

Last edited by Jumjalum on 2003-01-17, 01:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering you have a GeForce video card, this little excerpt from the ReadMe (for the 1.1 update):
The nVidia(TM) Riva128 and Riva128zx(TM) are not supported. Only run in software mode.
...is bad news. While this was obviously pre-GeForce, the architecture is similar enough that I doubt it will work properly with the GeForce.

Reply 9 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jumjalum Do you think a Glide wrapper would be a workaround for this? The config program specifically selects my graphics card which might be a problem.

You could always try. Hopefully, it will work like "Unreal Tournament", see the OpenGlide DLL and think that means you have a Voodoo card installed.

Reply 11 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jumjalum It didnt work, UT sees the driver but M&M just sees my GF4.

Well, I kind of figured something like that would happen, any kind of program that tells you it supports 3D hardware but tells you that it's incompatible with common (at the time) hardware, isn't going have good 3D. I suppose it might be theoretically possible to emulate one of the other chipsets to get 3D support, but that would mean a non-Glide wrapper...and I just don't see that happening.

It was worth a shot.

Reply 13 of 13, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread but recently I played M&M games again and while doing so I prepared an experimental patch for M&M7 to fix the problems with Windows XP and Direct 3D. Unfortunately I have only version of M&M7 in my native language so I'm not entirely sure the patch works. I posted the link in some M&M forum, but it seems nobody is willing to try and tell me if it helps or not... so if anyone here has the copy of the game, please check the patch and report the results. It should be possible now to play the game without compatibilty modes and in hardware 3D gfx and sound (plus some small bugfixes for the game). The post with the link is here:
http://www.forumplanet.com/strategyplanet/hom … 707&tid=1593903

-Mok