VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Markuslig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI

Im trying to play Privateer 2 The Darkening... But its way to fast, only a jedi could play the game in that speed. Im guessing the processor is to fast for this good old game. Otherwise there is no problems.
Is there anyway (any simple way ) to make the game play in normal gamespeed?
I got an averege computer by todays standard with Win xp as OS.
I would be greatfull for any help you guys can give me;)

Reply 2 of 26, by Markuslig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm, Speedset didnt work, well it started but it closed it self as soon as it started up.
And dosBox seems to be for just win32 OS i need something for win95 games, maybe it works anyways?
Im a newbee, so i dont know very much about this stuff.

Reply 4 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Markuslig hmmm, Speedset didnt work,

It's for not for "protected-mode" games. P2 is very much "protected".

And dosBox seems to be for just win32 OS

It's for 386 "real-mode" DOS games and earlier.

i need something for win95 games, maybe it works anyways?

No. You are in the worst of all possible worlds: It's "speed-sensitive" AND it's a "Windows" title. What you really need (what we ALL need) is a true PC emulator capable of running Windows at the approximate speed of a late 486/early Pentium machine. The closest thing to that right now is Bochs. Unfortunately (in addition to being a massive pain to set up), Bochs is useless for anything that needs a fast screen update (no games with action). Other than buying a old PC to play it on, I know of no solution.

BTW, since you have the Windows version, that means you have the "Deluxe" version. The original was DOS.

Reply 5 of 26, by Jumjalum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't tried it with any Windows games so far, but the latest Moslo4Biz has a seperate executable for DOS programs and Windows programs, along with different ways of setting the speed including telling it to act like a 100 MHz computer. I somehow lost my copy of P2 so I cant test it here.

Reply 6 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jumjalum ...the latest Moslo4Biz has a seperate executable for DOS programs and Windows programs,...

Unfortunately, this method of "tricking" software into working usually has other, nasty side-effects. From what I've found searching numerous messages, portions of the program can be slowed down usefully, while other parts are an absolute mess due to the slow-down.

This is one of those cases where even a dual-boot is useless.

Reply 7 of 26, by Markuslig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx for all your posts guys, Ill think im going to make this realy easy for me and ´just buy an old PC.
Its a pretty funny situation though, to actualy dont want the cpu to be as fast as possible, hehe

Reply 9 of 26, by Markuslig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well to be honest i dont know anything about clocking prosessors or memory.
But i found a better way to solve the problem, I bought an old computer a 133mhz with win95. I got it for pretty much nothing, hehe:D
And now the game works just fine. However i think it is od that there arent any way to emulate such a computer, when there are emulators for 8bit nintendo and stuff like that.

Reply 10 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For titles like this, that may be the only solution. Someday soon, however, that won't be viable. Hopefully, a speed-adjustable form of emulation for early Windows titles will have arrived.

Reply 11 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Nintendo is MUCH less complex than a computer. It has a specific set of functions and a specific amount of memory that can do a specific task at a specific rate. Computers are 32-bit, as well. Also, there IS a computer emulator -- it's called Bochs. There's also VirtualPC.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 26, by BIGstan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, this is not a joke - I was poking around looking for a solution to be able to play Privateer 2 (win95), and found this:

http://www.geocities.com/sasa_25/files/Priv2Patch_0.1.zip

it works. No need to be a Jedi to fly anymore.

This is ONLY for the Windows95 version of the game - NOT THE DOS Version!

After poking around your site for a while earlier (to no avail) I felt that you guys would be most appreciative of this - and would see that it gets distributed.

I cannot take credit for this - I'm just reporting it - MAD props to the programmers for this one, and the guy who posted it for me to find.

Love the site - you guys and TUOL are gonna keep me remembering my Apple IIc days for years.....

Alright - back to lurking. If someone wants to get a hold of me, use the email in my SIG, not my profile.

Attachments

• Filename
    priv2patch_0.1.zip
    File size
    2.22 KiB
    Downloads
    365 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

BIGstan!
BIGstan@jyhad.NOSPAM.net

Reply 14 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by BIGstan No, this is not a joke - I was poking around looking for a solution to be able to play Privateer 2 (win95), and found this...

Could you (or anyone for that matter) give this a try and let us know how well it works? (IE: "Near flawless", or "some glitches, but gameplay is fine", or "horrible glitches, but basic gameplay is intact", etc...)

Reply 15 of 26, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Could you (or anyone for that matter) give this a try and let us know how well it works? (IE: "Near flawless", or "some glitches, but gameplay is fine", or "horrible glitches, but basic gameplay is intact", etc...)

Suggestion for Snover:
1. Start a list of email addresses of all people who have created third-party game patches to fix sound/video/compatibility issues - not only ones that post here, but also non-visitors.
2. Create a part of VOGONS to handle patch requests (after proper review by moderators and admins).
3. Send an unsolicited email to that list of people.

Interesting? Or not worth the trouble?

Reply 16 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was good for it up until #3, heh. Spam is on my top-10 list of most hated things in the world, and I'd never subject anyone to that, no matter how noble the cause.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 26, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

I was good for it up until #3, heh. Spam is on my top-10 list of most hated things in the world, and I'd never subject anyone to that, no matter how noble the cause.

How do you propose to attract their attention, then? Just curious...

Reply 18 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude How do you propose to attract their attention, then? Just curious...

*whispers* Here we see the curious "Snover" engaging in the traditional "patching" ritual. He's displaying his feathers quite boldly, shuffling them back-and-forth and squawking loudly to gain the attention of the ever-skittish "Programmer".

Ooo. It appears that he has indeed garnered the consideration of a Programmer. The Snover approaches closer...closer... Oh dear. It appears that the "Programmer" only has minimal knowledge of "Visual Basic". That simply will not do... The Snover retreats to it's mound, again shuffling it's feathers and attempting to squawk in such a fashion as to only attract Programmers with C++ skills and perhaps some assembly experience....

Ok. I really am in dire need of sleep and I'm in the process of losing consciousness. To answer your question, I think we'll go the traditional route of getting a programmers attention: waiting impatiently for them to drop by, followed by incessant begging the moment we think there's a chance they'll do anything...

Reply 19 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer to visit their site, check it out for awhile. If they have forums then I sign on and participate. Try to contribute. Then I eventually email and try to offer a nugget of info that would benefit them. This is pretty much how I handle all of my online relationships.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline