VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 26, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

*whispers* Here we see the curious "Snover" engaging in the traditional "patching" ritual. He's displaying his feathers quite boldly, shuffling them back-and-forth and squawking loudly to gain the attention of the ever-skittish "Programmer".

Ooo. It appears that he has indeed garnered the consideration of a Programmer. The Snover approaches closer...closer... Oh dear. It appears that the "Programmer" only has minimal knowledge of "Visual Basic". That simply will not do... The Snover retreats to it's mound, again shuffling it's feathers and attempting to squawk in such a fashion as to only attract Programmers with C++ skills and perhaps some assembly experience....

Ok. I really am in dire need of sleep and I'm in the process of losing consciousness. To answer your question, I think we'll go the traditional route of getting a programmers attention: waiting impatiently for them to drop by, followed by incessant begging the moment we think there's a chance they'll do anything...

*LMAO*

Reply 23 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I think so. Not sure how it will blow over, but it's worth a shot.

When I am feeling less sick (hah, when is that!?) and the VOGONS design has been implemented I'll start work on a system to congregate resources.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 26, by Farfolomew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure about the link above, but the best place to go for anything Wing Commander related (Privateer 2 is sequel to Privateer 1, which is set in the Wing Commander universe) is here:

http://www.wcnews.com

On the page, on the right, there's a Technical Support section dedicated to getting all the Wing Commanders running properly on new&old systems (including DOSBox, Windows, and classic DOS).

I've played around with P2 quite a bit and managed to get it to run pretty well in Windows XP; however, the game kept crashing on me, so I decided to build a Win98 system to play it. I believe this is the best route.

1. Install a Win98 system; the processor speed doesn't matter as you'll be applying a slow-down patch.
2. Install either the P2 Deluxe version, or convert your DOS P2 to the Deluxe version (WCNews has a guide, or a link, to do this)
3. If you installed the original P2 Deluxe version (the one specifically sold for Win95) then you'll have to apply the slowdown patch. However, if you converted your DOS version to Deluxe version, the slow-down patch will already be applied.
4. Play the game in Win98! The game should run at perfect speed.

I found this solution to be a lot better than playing in pure DOS, even on a Pentium 133 (the recommended processor on the Box). The reason is there are parts of the game that run slow even with a Pentium 133 (like when approaching a Planet, or if you get too close to another ship). However, if you have a modern system, your CPU will be fast enough to run those parts that are too slow for the P133, but still run slow enough (because of the patch) for everything else. It's really the best way to play the game 😀

Hope this helps.