VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TyTiger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm wanting to play MechWarrior2 using the newest DOSBox. I did everything that I had to, mounted the drive, specified the game folder, everything. HOWEVER, when I try to play MechWarrior2, it comes up with "unable to run in DOS Mode". Now, the version(s) of Mech2 that I have are:

1.MechWarrior 2: 31 Century Combat ATI 3D RAGE EDITION
2.MechWarrior2: TITANIUM EDITION

Both of these games ran on all of my Windows 95/98 PCs AND in DOS, but neither of them will play in any mode! How can I run Mech2 (either of them)
in SOME mode? (preferably Windows Mode)

I miss my TimberWolf...

MechWarrior 2: 31st CENTURY COMBAT
Clan: Wolf
BattleMech: TIMBERWOLF (PPC variant type²)

Reply 2 of 5, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you sure you were running those versions in DOS before? As far as I know all of the 3d enhanced editions are windows only. The only ones that might run under DOSBox are the original pentium Mech2 and the Mercs/GBL editions that had both windows and DOS versions.

I double checked the discs and there's no DOS support on the titanium or diamond monster 3d one. If the rage edition says Windows 95 cd-rom on the disc you're probably up the creek.

Reply 3 of 5, by TyTiger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Flashback wrote:

I double checked the discs and there's no DOS support on the titanium or diamond monster 3d one. If the rage edition says Windows 95 cd-rom on the disc you're probably up the creek.

Aw... OK. Thanks anyways. Is there any program that can make them run?

MechWarrior 2: 31st CENTURY COMBAT
Clan: Wolf
BattleMech: TIMBERWOLF (PPC variant type²)

Reply 4 of 5, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're best bet is to either install a 9x version of windows on a second partition/hard drive or try something like Virtual PC.

I haven't tried the Virtual PC option myself but in theory it should let ya run Mech2 from a vitual 9x install. I'm not sure what 3d accelleration support Vitual PC has so you might want to research that a bit before you try it. If it lets you install the proper display drivers, you should at least be able to run titanium. The rage edition will probably only work if you still use a rage card.

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mech2 Mercs for Windows does run in Windows 9x in virtual PC. Only in DirectDraw tho. So if you install the latest update make sure you don't install the Direct3D part.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline