VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

has anybody gotten this game to work on windows xp? compatibilty and 256 color modes dont work, installing the game works, but when i try to run the game it goes to a black screen then returns me to the desktop.

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can run the DOS version of the game, but the Windows version has better graphics. There is a way of getting the Windows version to run on XP that involves replacing the Windows shortcut with a batch file and running it with VDMS, but there is a bug with the cursor not changing when you do it that way.

If you install Windows 3x in DOSBox you can play it in DOSBox, though the sound is less than desirable. You might wait for the new King's Quest compilation to come out next month. It is supposed to be XP compatible

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i guess i'll just wait for the compilation to come out next month since VDMS is giving me a really bad error.
i posted it up right here Instantiation - COM Error

Reply 3 of 5, by Linder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote="WiseMan"]has anybody gotten this game to work on windows xp? compatibilty and 256 color modes dont work, installing the game works, but when i try to run the game it goes to a black screen then returns me to the desktop.[/quote]

After a bit of work, I now have King's Quest VI running with VDMS installed on my Windows XP. Color is not a problem but I can't figure out how to get the Characters' Audio vs. text boxes to work. The characters' audio is run off of the CD but VDMS runs off the install to your hard drive. It should be easy to change an .ini, or .exe. or .bat file or config file to tell VDMS to pull the Audio off the CD but I can't find it. Maybe you got around this ? I can tell you my experience with the VDMS install. Thanks, Linder

Reply 4 of 5, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Linder wrote:
WiseMan wrote:

has anybody gotten this game to work on windows xp? compatibilty and 256 color modes dont work, installing the game works, but when i try to run the game it goes to a black screen then returns me to the desktop.

After a bit of work, I now have King's Quest VI running with VDMS installed on my Windows XP. Color is not a problem but I can't figure out how to get the Characters' Audio vs. text boxes to work. The characters' audio is run off of the CD but VDMS runs off the install to your hard drive. It should be easy to change an .ini, or .exe. or .bat file or config file to tell VDMS to pull the Audio off the CD but I can't find it. Maybe you got around this ? I can tell you my experience with the VDMS install. Thanks, Linder

How about copying the audio and other files from the CD to the harddrive and editing the resource.cfg? Check the link in my sig.

Reply 5 of 5, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well here is another way of getting king's quest VI windows version to work on xp http://www.tawmis.com/collector/Games/KingsQuest/KQ6&XP.html

but when i use VDMSound it gives me this error

Instantiation - COM Error

Unable to Instantiate emulation module "VDMServicesProvider"

0x800401f3 - Invalid class string (C:\PROGRA~1\VDMSound\VDMS.INI:66

this is the only thing that is stopping me from getting king's quest VI to work, otherwise it would be fine.