VOGONS

Common searches

Multiple CD drives in WinXP = no CD audio in Windows games?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried searching the whole VOGONS forums for previous threads on this, but no luck. First here are the CD "drives" on my system:

- Daemon Tools
- FantomCD
- Ricoh 8x4x32 CDR/RW/ROM IDE
- Pan International Industrial Corp of China (I just love saying that 🤣) 44x generic CD-ROM IDE

So basically I have two IDE CD-ROM drives and two virtual ones running in Windows XP Pro build 2600. Also, I am absoutely certain that I have audio cables properly connected between my drives and sound card and that the mixer was unmuted when I tested (as you will see, this is moot anyways since I'm getting error messages and not just a lack of music). I am also able to play audio tracks from CDs in my IDE drives using CD audio player utilities (I think I used Media Player). Also, I've tried testing with the Digital Audio mode both enabled and disabled (and yes I know what it does: it allows WinXP to read the audio through the IDE interface instead of or in addition to playing it through the audio cable(s)).

My problem is this: So far, Windows games that use Redbook audio tracks for in-game music or sounds don't seem to be able to play those audio tracks. Using X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter as a specific example, it complains when I run it that it can't play the audio tracks. I'm guessing what's going on is that older games like that assume that there is only one CD drive in the system and tell Windows to play an audio track on the first (or an arbitrary) drive, resulting in the commands being sent to the wrong device.

Is there a way to select which drive is the default in WinXP for playing CD audio? I can't seem to find any such setting.

The only idea I can think of is to try uninstalling Daemon Tools and FantomCD (I think they may get precedence over my IDE drives because they pretend to be SCSI drives) and try installing XvT with the CDs in each of the two IDE drives and see if it works with at least one of them.

Thanks,
HunterZ

Reply 2 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Is there a way to select which drive is the default in WinXP for playing CD audio?

I think the first drive letter that is a CD-Drive is the default. My drives are H:,L:, and M:

Presuming that everything wants to run on the H: drive seems to work consistently for me.

UPDATE: Irrelevant text deleted.

Also, IIRC, some games don't empty CD-drives...go figure.

Reply 3 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What would MSCDEX have to do with a Windows game?

I've thought about the drive letters thing, but that can't be the case, as I believe my CD-ROM drive is R:, burner is W:, Daemon Tools is X:, and Fantom CD is Y:. Maybe I should double-check though - it was a while ago that I last tried tackling this problem.

EDIT: Okay you were right, Nicht. One of my virtual drives wasn't set to a higher letter, and when I changed it, Jedi Knight started using my R: drive for the music (even though Disc 1 was in the W: drive). So I guess this case is closed :p

Last edited by HunterZ on 2003-02-08, 06:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ What would MSCDEX have to do with a Windows game?

My goof. The problem is similar to some DOS access problems we've see So I started thinking in DOS terms.

EDIT: Okay you were right, Nicht. One of my virtual drives wasn't set to a higher letter, and when I changed it, Jedi Knight started using my R: drive for the music...

Good deal. If it had actually been a Windows issue, I doubt there would've been much we could have done...