VOGONS

Common searches

Running Shadowman on WinXP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by davidfincherfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please someone help me get my favorite game Shadowman running WinXP ! I downloaded the Application Compatibility toolkit and I messed around with it for awhile but I'm daunted by its complexity. Anywhere I should start? (oh yea and the compatiblity modes don't work):

Toshiba laptop 1.0 ghz
GeForce 2Go
512 megs ram
WinXP Home

Thanks in advance. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't my favorite game. 😀 Happy Trails.

Reply 4 of 13, by davidfincherfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't thank you enough for your suggestions, everybody. I will try the QFixApp. As to the error message I received, I originally didn't receive one. It would seem like the program was opening and then it would just exit without a word. After some tweaking, I managed to get it to show the error message and it said something about "Kernel" drivers which I found out is somehow specific to Win98 systems. Anyway, I guess I'll have to give that QFixApp a shot. I lent out the cd to someone who could actually use it, 😉, but I'll get it back and let everyone know how QFix worked. Happy Trails. -davidfincherfan

Reply 5 of 13, by davidfincherfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regrettably, QFixApp did not enable me to run the game. I clicked Win98. What happened next might be encouraging, it actually brought up the window and enlarged it to full screen as if to start the game (it's never done that before). There was a Win98-ish bar at the top that read :"Shadow Man" but then the screen collapsed and quit with no error message.

Reply 7 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by davidfincherfan There was a Win98-ish bar at the top that read :"Shadow Man" but then the screen collapsed and quit with no error message.

You already tried this patch?
http://www.acclaim.com/games/shadowman/

From the description I found:
This patch will resolve the problems that have been associated with computer systems returning to the desktop or system freezes after running the Shadow Man executable.

Apparently this game isn't too stable...

Reply 9 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to the people at http://www.xpsc.net/ , this can be run on XP. But only with some real hacking:

Game wouldn't start to begin with; a few seconds of hourglass cursor followed by 99% CPU time and having to kill the process. Compatibility mode is rejected. A NoCD crack substitute of Shadowman.exe fixed that problem.

Next, some of the inventory items popped me back to the desktop. Using Filemon from [url]http://www.sysinternals.com,[/url] I found out that I had to add "page" in front of all .mup files in various subfolders, e.g. "1.mup" must read "page1.mup", "2.mup" must read "page2.mup" and so forth. Now stuff like "Nettie's File" should work.

Reply 11 of 13, by davidfincherfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, everyone, it looks like Shadowman is officially a no-go on XP. I sent an email to the person mentioned a few posts above as having cracked the game to make it work, and it turns out that, even after changing many filenames and using a nocd crack, it still hangs on the final boss every time. It seems as though there is no hope left. If there are any of you out there who enjoy a challenge, feel free to give it a shot. It certainly does seem to have that holy grail kind of unnatainability. If you manage to make any discoveries, feel free to post them to this string for other hopeful gamers to read. Happy Trails. -C

Reply 12 of 13, by noabody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing it right now. There's some caveats of course. My system is an Athlon XP 2800+, Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 181.20, nForce2 chipset, and XP SP3. The driver is important since Nvidia only recently caved in and provided DirectX backward compatibility for DX6 up. I had no trouble installing the game or playing it.

To improve gameplay, two Microsoft Application Compatibility fixes are required: ForceSimpleWindow and ForceDirectDrawWait.

I have attached shadowman.zip. This can be opened and the file AppFix.bat run (double-clicked) directly within WinRAR or any similar program that extracts all files to a temporary location while processing.

AppFix is a command line batch file that scans the registry for proof that the compatibility fix has been installed. It works as a simple toggle. If the compatibility fix is not installed then install it, if it is already installed then remove it. You may, of course, install this fix manually which requires extracting the archive to the hard drive, opening a command line (Windows-R cmd or %comspec%) changing to that directory, then typing sdbinst shadowman.sdb to install and sdbinst -u shadowman.sdb to remove.

I found some no-cd fixes for Shadowman.exe but nothing for D3DConfigUtility.exe. Turns out it only want's to see CD creation and volume name so I made a mini-image of the iso that can be mounted in Daemon Tools and will fake out D3DConfigUtility.exe. This iso image has no files in it. It only has the volume information from the original so it is not warez. It is included in the attachment.

The game is not likely to work on any DX10 video cards or operating systems (Vista). Both Nvidia and ATI have apparently removed DX6-9 support from their DX10 drivers. It took many years for Nvidia to add that support back into their DX9 cards. ATI cards were notable for their compatibility with old games so this is unfortunate.

Attachments

• Filename
    shadowman.zip
    File size
    1.55 KiB
    Downloads
    528 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception